A Middleware Approach for Reducing the Network Cost of Location Traffic in Cellular Networks
Location is a valuable information for services implemented in wireless networks. Location systems often use the infrastructure of already deployed cellular networks. Accordingly, location systems spend resources from the network they use. This paper proposes a middleware to reduce the consumption of network resources and optimize the location traffic being carried. This middleware, called MILCO (Middleware for Location Cost Optimization), selects the optimum location technique depending on the request, i.e. the location technique that fulfills the required quality of service (QoS) and minimizes the resource operating expense. In addition, MILCO takes advantage from ongoing and carried location processes to reduce the overall expenditure of resources. Results show that MILCO can reduce the location-process failures and improve the figures of latency for the location provisioning and resource usage in cellular networks such as UMTS.
KeywordsCost Function Mobile Station Cellular Network Resource Usage Input Module
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Barcelo, F., Martin-Escalona, I.: Coverage of Hybrid Terrestrial-Satellite Location in Mobile Communications. In: Fifth European Wireless Conference: Mobile and Wireless Systems beyond 3G, pp. 475–479 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Martin-Escalona, I., Barcelo, F.: Optimization of the Cost of Providing Location Services in Mobile Cellular Networks. In: 15th IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, vol. 3, pp. 2076–2081 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Spanoudakis, M., Batistakis, A., Priggouris, I., Ioannidis, A., Hadjiefthymiades, S., Merakos, L.: Extensible platform for location based services provisioning. In: Fourth International Conference on Web Information Systems Engineering Workshops, pp. 72–79 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.3GPP TS 23.271, Functional Stage 2 Description of Location Services (LCS) R6 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Biswas, P., Han, S., Wu, J.: Location Caching in the Mobile Middleware Platform. In: Third International Conference on Mobile Data Management, pp. 172–174 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Zander, J., Kim, S.L.: Radio Resource Management for Wireless Networks. Artech House (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Capone, A., Redana, S.: Call Admission Control Techniques for UMTS. In: IEEE VTS 54th Vehicular Technology Conference, VTC 2001 Fall, vol. 2, pp. 925–929 (October 2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Nuyami, L., Lagrange, X., Godlewski, P.: A Power Control Algorithm for 3G WCDMA System. In: European Wireless 2002 (February 2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Holma, H., Toskala, A.: WCDMA for UMTS. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.ETSI TR 125.942, RF system scenarios (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.EMILY.IST-2000-26040, EMILY system trials report (2005)Google Scholar