A New Smoothing Algorithm for Quadrilateral and Hexahedral Meshes
Mesh smoothing (or r-refinement) are used in computer aided design, interpolation, numerical solution of partial differential equations, etc. We derive a new smoothing called parallelogram smoothing. The new smoothing tries to fit a given domain by the parallelograms. We present several numerical examples and compare our results against the traditional Laplacian smoothing. Presented numerical work shows that the new approach is superior to the Laplacian smoothing.
KeywordsQuadrilateral Element Inverted Element Hexahedral Element Hexahedral Mesh Quadrilateral Mesh
- 8.Khodakovsky, A., Litke, N., Schröder, P.: Globally smooth parameterizations with low distortion. ACM Transactions on Graphics (TOG) 22 (2003)Google Scholar
- 13.Shontz, S.M., Vavasis, S.A.: A linear weighted laplacian smoothing framework for warping tetrahedral meshes. Submitted to SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing on July 17, for publication (2004) Available on line at http://arxiv.org/abs/cs.NA/0410045
- 14.Knupp, P.M.: Winslow smoothing on two-dimensional unstructured meshes. In: Proceedings, 7th International Meshing Roundtable, Sandia National Lab, pp. 449–457 (1998)Google Scholar
- 15.Hægland, H., Dahle, H.K., Eigestad, G.T., Lie, K.A., Aavatsmark, I.: Improved Streamlines and Time of Flight for Streamline Simulation on Irregular Grids. Submitted in Journal. Available on line at (October 2005), http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~kalie/papers/cvi-sl.pdf
- 16.Khattri, S.K.: Analyzing Finite Volume for Single Phase Flow in Porous Media. Journal of Porous Media, Accepted for Publication (2006)Google Scholar