Event-Driven Probabilistic Constraint Programming
Real-life management decisions are usually made in uncertain environments, and decision support systems that ignore this uncertainty are unlikely to provide realistic guidance. We show that previous approaches fail to provide appropriate support for reasoning about reliability under uncertainty. We propose a new framework that addresses this issue by allowing logical dependencies between constraints. Reliability is then defined in terms of key constraints called “events”, which are related to other constraints via these dependencies. We illustrate our approach on two problems, contrast it with existing frameworks, and discuss future developments.
KeywordsCondition Constraint Uncertain Parameter Constraint Satisfaction Problem Customer Demand Hard Constraint
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bistarelli, S., Montanari, U., Rossi, F.: Soft constraint logic programming and generalized shortest path problems. Journal of Heuristics, Kluwer (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Fargier, H., Lang, J., Martin-Clouaire, R., Schiex, T.: A constraint satisfaction framework for decision under uncertainty. In: Proc. of the 11th Int. Conf. on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence, Montreal, Canada (August 1995)Google Scholar
- 3.Kingsman, B.G.: Raw materials purchasing: an operational research approach. Pergamon Press, New York (1985)Google Scholar
- 4.de Kok, A.G., Graves, S.C.: Supply chain management: design, coordination and operation. In: Handbook in OR/MS, vol. 11, Elsevier, Amsterdam (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Manandhar, S., Tarim, S.A., Walsh, T.: Scenario-based stochastic constraint programming. In: Proc. of IJCAI-2003, Acapulco, Mexico, pp. 257–262 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Petit, T., Régin, J.-C., Bessière, C.: Meta-constraints on violations for over-constrained problems. In: Proc. of ICTAI 2000, Vancouver, BC, Canada, November 2000, pp. 358–365. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Porteus, E.L.: Foundations of stochastic inventory theory. Stanford University Press, Stanford, California (2002)Google Scholar