Normative Structures in Trust Management
The modelling of trust for the purpose of trust management gives rise to a puzzle that opens up fundamental questions concerning the relationship between trust and calculative reason as the basis for cooperation. It is argued that, ironically, trust management seem not to maximise trust but, instead, to reduce the need for trust. This conclusion is used to argue that the normative aspects of trust must be given a central role in the modelling of trust and trust management. The following question is addressed: What can an agent R infer about the future actions of another agent E, if R assumes that E is trustworthy? It is suggested that a generalised version of Barwise and Seligman’s theory of information flow can be used to model the role of normative structures in reasoning in trust relationships. Implications for trust management are discussed.
KeywordsNormative Structure Trust Management Payoff Structure Formal Concept Analysis Transaction Cost Economic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bacharach, M., Gambetta, D.: Trust As Type Detection. In: Castelfranchi, C., Tan, Y.-H. (eds.) Trust and Deception in Virtual Societies. Kluwer, Dordrecht (2001a)Google Scholar
- Bacharach, M., Gambetta, D.: Trust in Signs. In: Cook, K.S. (ed.) Trust in Society, pp. 148–184. Russel Sage, Thousand Oaks (2001b)Google Scholar
- Cheskin: eCommerce Trust. Report from the consultant firm Cheskin (1999), Downloaded from 18.02.06 at: www.cheskin.com
- Hardin, R.: Trust and trustworthiness. Sage, Thousand Oaks (2002)Google Scholar
- Gambetta, D.: Trust: Making and Braking Cooperative Relations. Basil Blackwell, Malden (1988)Google Scholar
- Jones, A.J.I., Firozobadi, B.S.: On the Characterization of a Trusting Agent – Aspects of a Formal Approach. In: Castelfranchi, C., Tan, Y.-H. (eds.) Trust and Deception in Virtual Societies. Kluwer, Dordrecht (2001)Google Scholar
- Ullman-Margalit, E.: Trust, Distrust, and In Between. In: Hardin, R. (ed.) Distrust. Sage, Thousand Oaks (2004)Google Scholar
- Williamson, O.: Calculativeness, Trust, and Economic Organizations. Journal of Law and Economics XXXVI (April 1993)Google Scholar