From Theory to Practice: Forgiveness as a Mechanism to Repair Conflicts in CMC
In computer-mediated communication (CMC) online members often behave in undesirable ways, therefore creating a need for an active regulating force. Trust and reputation mechanisms have been adopted to address this problem and in doing so have eliminated the high costs of employing a human moderator. However, these systems have emphasized the need to ‘punish’ a given offender, while neglecting to account for alternative ways to repair the offence e.g. by forgiveness. In this paper, we define a theoretical model of forgiveness which is operationalized using a fuzzy logic inference system and then applied in a particular scenario. It is argued that forgiveness in CMC may work as a possible prosocial mechanism, which in the short-term can help resolve a given conflict and in the long-term can add to an increasingly prosocial and homeostatic environment.
KeywordsFuzzy Rule Fuzzy Inference System Online Community Reparative Action Historical Relationship
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Boon, S., Sulsky, L.: Attributions of blame and forgiveness in romantic relationships: A policy-capturing study. Journal of Social Behavior and Personality 12, 19–26 (1997)Google Scholar
- 2.Buss, A.: Self-consciousness and social anxiety. W. H. Freeman, San Francisco (1980)Google Scholar
- 4.Fincham, F., Jackson, H., Beach, S.: Transgression severity and forgiveness: Different moderators for objective and subjective severity. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology (in press)Google Scholar
- 6.Holmgren, M.: Forgiveness and the intrinsic value of persons. American Philosophical Quarterly 30(4), 341–451 (1993)Google Scholar
- 10.McCullough, M.: Forgiveness who does it and how do they do it. Psychological Science 10(6), 194–197 (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Modigliani, A.: Embarrassability scale. In: Measures of personality and social psychological attitudes, pp. 173–176. Academic Press, San Diego (1991)Google Scholar
- 18.Vasalou, A., Piolle, G.: Fuzzy rules of forgiveness (2005), http://www.luminainteractive.com/research/frules.pdf
- 20.Witvliet, C., Worthington, E., Wade, N., Berry, J.: Justice and forgiveness: Three experimental studies. In: The Christian Association of Psychological Studies, Arlington Heights, IL (2002)Google Scholar