EigenExpress Approach in Recognition of Facial Expression Using GPU
The automatic recognition of facial expression presents a significant challenge to the pattern analysis and man-machine interaction research community. In this paper, a novel system is proposed to recognize human facial expressions based on the expression sketch. Firstly, facial expression sketch is extracted by an GPU-based real-time edge detection and sharpening algorithm from original gray image. Then, a statistical method, which is called Eigenexpress, is introduced to obtain the expression feature vectors for sketches. Finally, Modified Hausdorff distance(MHD) was used to perform the expression classification. In contrast to performing feature vector extraction from the gray image directly, the sketch based expression recognition reduces the feature vector’s dimension first, which leads to a concise representation of the facial expression. Experiment shows our method is appreciable and convincible.
KeywordsFacial Expression Graphic Process Unit Expression Recognition Facial Expression Recognition Graphic Hardware
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ekman, P., Friesen, W.V.: Facial Action Coding System: Investigator’s Guide. Consulting Psychologists Press (1978)Google Scholar
- 4.Cohen, I., Sebe, N., Cozman, F.G., Cirelo, M.C., Huang, T.S.: Learning Bayesian Network Classifiers for Facial Expression Recognition with both Labeled and Unlabeled data. In: IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 595–602 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Wilhelm, T., Backhaus, A.: Statistical and Neural Methods for Vision-based Analysis of Facial Expressions and Gender. IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics 3, 2203–2208 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Macedonia, M.: The Gpu Enters Computing’s Mainstream. IEEE Computer (October 2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Krüger, J., Westermann, R.: Linear Algebra Operators for GPU Implementation of Numerical Algorithms. In: ACM Siggraph 2003, pp. 908–916 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Ashikhmin, M.: A Tone Mapping Algorithm for High Contrast Images. In: Eurographics Workshop on Rendering, pp. 1–11 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.NVIDIA Corporation, Industry’s Premiere Game Developers Proclaim NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX GPUs Platform of Choice for Next-Generation Game Development (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.Song, M., Bu, J., Chen, C.: Expression Recognition from Video using A Coupled Hidden Markov Model. In: IEEE TENCON 2004 (2004)Google Scholar