Incremental Branching Programs
We propose a new model of restricted branching programs which we call incremental branching programs. We show that syntactic incremental branching programs capture previously studied structured models of computation for the problem GEN, namely marking machines [Co74] and Poon’s extension [Po93] of jumping automata on graphs [CoRa80]. We then prove exponential size lower bounds for our syntactic incremental model, and for some other restricted branching program models as well. We further show that nondeterministic syntactic incremental branching programs are provably stronger than their deterministic counterpart when solving a natural NL-complete GEN subproblem. It remains open if syntactic incremental branching programs are as powerful as unrestricted branching programs for GEN problems.
KeywordsBoolean Function Edge Label Monotone Circuit Monotone Boolean Function Exponential Lower Bound
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Be81]Berkowitz, S.J.: On some relationships between monotone and non-monotone circuit complexity, University of Toronto, Computer Science Department (manuscript, 1981)Google Scholar
- [GKM05]Gál, A., Koucký, M., McKenzie, P.: Incremental branching programs. ECCC TR05-136, 1–18 (2005)Google Scholar
- [Ju95]Jukna, S.: A note on read-k-times branching programs. RAIRO Theoretical Informatics and Applications 29, 75–83Google Scholar
- [KaWi88]Karchmer, M., Wigderson, A.: Monotone circuits for connectivity require super-logarithmic depth. In: Proc. of the 20th ACM Symp. on the Theory of Computing, pp. 539–550 (1988); Full version in: SIAM J. on Disc. Math. 3(2), 255–265 (1990)Google Scholar
- [PaHe70]Paterson, M.S., Hewitt, C.E.: Comparative schematology. In: Record of Project MAC Conference on Concurrent Systems and Parallel Computations (June 1970), pp. 119–128. ACM, New Jersey (1970)Google Scholar
- [Po93]Poon, C.K.: Space bounds for graph connectivity problems on node-named JAGs and node-ordered JAGs. In: Proc. of the 34th IEEE Symp. on the Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 218–227 (1993)Google Scholar
- [We87]Wegener, I.: The complexity of Boolean functions. Wiley-Teubner (1987)Google Scholar
- [We00]Wegener, I.: Branching programs and binary decision diagrams. SIAM Monographs on Discrete Mathematics and Applications (2000)Google Scholar