Dynamic SMP Clusters in SoC Technology – Towards Massively Parallel Fine Grain Numerics
This paper evaluates new architectural solutions for data communication in shared memory parallel systems. These solutions enable creation of run-time reconfigurable processor clusters with very efficient inter-processor data exchange. It makes that data brought in the data cache of a processor, which enters a cluster, can be transparently intercepted by many processors in the cluster. Direct communication between processor caches is possible, which eliminates standard data transactions. The system provides simultaneous connections of processors with many memory modules that further increases the potential for parallel inter-cluster data exchange. System on chip technology is applied. Special program macro-data flow graphs enable proper structuring of program execution control, including specification of parallel execution, data cache operations, switching processors between clusters and multiple parallel reads of data on the fly. Simulation results from symbolic execution of graphs of fine grain numerical algorithms illustrate high efficiency and suitability of the proposed architecture for massively parallel fine-grain numerical computations.
KeywordsMemory Module Data Cache Program Graph Cache Coherence Idealistic NUMA
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Benini, L., de Michelli, G.: Networks on Chips: A New SoC Paradigm. Computer, 70–78 (January 2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Rowen, C.: Engineering the Complex SOC, Fast, Flexible Design with Configurable Processors. Prentice Hall PTR, Englewood Cliffs (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Tudruj, M., Masko, L.: Communication on the Fly and Program Execution Control in a System of Dynamically Configurable SMP Clusters. In: 11th Euromicro Conf. on Parallel Distributed and Network based Processing, Genova - Italy, February 2003, pp. 67–74. IEEE CS Press, Los Alamitos (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Tudruj, M., Masko, L.: Communication on-the-fly in dynamic SMP clusters - towards efficient fine grain computations. In: Fifth Intl. Conference on Parallel Processing and Applied Mathematics, PPAM 2003, Czestochowa, Poland, September 2003. LNCS, Springer, Heidelberg (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Tudruj, M.: Mako, Dynamic SMP Clusters with Communication on the Fly in NoC Technology for Very Fine Grain Computations. In: The 3rd Intl. Symp. on Parallel and Distributed Computing, Cork, Irlandia, July 5-7, 2004, IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Masko, L.: Program graph scheduling for dynamic SMP clusters with communication on the fly. In: International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Computing ISPDC 2004, Cork, Irlandia, July 5-7, 2004, IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2004)Google Scholar