Porting Thermomechanical Applications to Grid Environment
NuscaS is an object-oriented package designed at Czestochowa University of Technology to investigate thermomechanical phenomena using FEM modeling. Its functionality includes also implementation on clusters. This paper presents our experience in adaptation of the NuscaS system to the CLUSTERIX environment, which is a national grid infrastructure with 12 local Linux PC-clusters connected by the Polish Optical Network PIONIER. Using the MPICH-G2 middleware, the proposed solution allows for running tasks across several local clusters as meta-applications. The performance results of numerical experiments with FEM modeling of casting solidification confirm that CLUSTERIX can be an efficient platform for running numerical meta-applications. However, harnessing its computing power needs to take into account the hierarchical architecture of the infrastructure.
KeywordsLocal Cluster Grid Environment Finite Element Method Modeling Grid Infrastructure Hierarchical Architecture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.CLUSTERIX Project Homepage, http://www.clusterix.pl
- 2.Globus Toolkit Homepage, http://www.globus.org/toolkit
- 5.Karypis, G., Kumar, V.: METIS: A software package for partitioning unstructured graphs, partitioning meshes and computing fill-reducing orderings of sparse matrices, version 4.0, Tech. Rep., Univ. of MN, Dept. of Computer Sci. and Eng. (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Lo, G., Saad, Y.: Iterative Solution of General Sparse Linear Systems on Clusters of Workstations, Tech. Rep. UMSI 96/117 & UM-IBM 96/24, Minnesota Supercomputer Institute, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Meisel, M., Meyer, A.: Hierarchically Preconditioned Parallel CG-Solvers with and without Coarse-Mesh Solvers Inside. SFB399-Preprint 97-20, Technische Universitat Chemnitz (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Mirghani, B.Y., Tryby, M.E., Baessler, D.A., Karonis, N., Ranjthan, R.S., Mahinthakumar, K.G.: Development and Performance Analysis of a Simulation-Optimization Framework on TeraGrid Linux Clusters. In: Proc. LCI International Conference on Linux Clusters: The HPC Revolution 2005, Chapel-Hill, NC (April 2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Topping, B.H., Khan, A.I.: Parallel Finite Element Computations. Saxe-Coburg Publications (1996)Google Scholar
- 16.Wyrzykowski, R., Meyer, N., Stroinski, M.: Concept and Implementation of CLUSTERIX: National Cluster of Linux Systems. In: Proc. LCI International Conference on Linux Clusters: The HPC Revolution 2005, Chapel-Hill, NC (April 2005)Google Scholar