Functional Aspects in Portuguese NER
This paper describes and evaluates an improved and modified version of the PALAVRAS-NER parser, adapted for the HAREM joint evaluation task of Named Entity Recognition (NER) in February 2005. Apart from an extension to over 40 semantic categories, the system was changed from a lexeme-based to a token-based description, defining NER categories as functional and context-based rather than stable and lexematic. The Constraint Grammar rule body was changed accordingly, adding new rules and applying existing heuristic and disambiguation rules to contextual re-mapping of also lexically known material. In the joint evaluation, PALAVRAS-NER achieved the best overall results, achieving top ranks for both the identification, classification and morphology tasks.
KeywordsName Entity Recognition Entity Recognition Word Class Syntactic Parser Category Match
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bick, E.: The Parsing System ‘Palavras’ - Automatic Grammatical Analysis of Portuguese in a Constraint Grammar Framework. Aarhus University Press, Århus (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Bick, E.: A Named Entity Recognizer for Danish. In: Lino, et al. (eds.) Proc. 4th Int. Conf. on Language Resources and Evaluation, LREC 2004, Lisbon, pp. 305–308 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Blume, M.: Automatic Entity Disambiguation: Benefits to NER, Relation Extraction, Link Analysis, and Inference. In: Proceedings of 2005 International Conference on Intelligence Analysis (2005), https://analysis.mitre.org/proceedings
- 5.Borthwick, A., Sterling, J., Agichtein, E., Grishman, R.: NYU: Description of the MENE Named Entity System as Used in MUC-7. In: Proc. of the 7th Message Understanding Conf. (MUC7), Fairfax, April 29th - May 1st (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Petasis, P., et al.: Adaptive, Multilingual Named Entity Recognition in Web Pages. In: Proceedings of the 16th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI 2004), Valencia, Spain, August 22–27, pp. 1073–1074 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Sang, T.K., Erik, F.: Introduction to the CoNLL-2002 Shared Task: Language- Independent Named Entity Recognition. In: Proceedings of CoNLL-2002, Taipei, Taiwan, pp. 155–158 (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Sang, T.K., Erik, F.,De Meulder, F.: Introduction to the CoNLL 2003 Shared Task: Language-Independent Named Entity Recognition. In: Proceedings of CoNLL 2003, Edmonton, Canada, pp. 142–147 (2003)Google Scholar