The Performance Evaluation of OFDM/HL-16QAM System for Optimizing Image Transmission Quality in Wireless Fading
We have evaluated the performance of an OFDM/HL-16QAM system for achieving high quality image transmission. OFDM/HL-16QAM system has the capability of reliable high speed data service and simultaneous transmission of differentiated two quality of data streams in severe multipath fading channel. For application of image transmission, we have proposed the OFDM/HL-16QAM system adopting fixed length DCT based coding to achieve reasonable image compression rate and obtained the optimal hierarchical modulation parameter maximizing PSNR(Peak Signal to Noise power Ratio) of received still image. Then, it has been shown that the received image quality of the proposed system with optimized hierarchical modulation parameter is better than that of conventional OFDM/16QAM system. From the result, it is found that the proposed system is more effective for mobile multimedia services.
KeywordsImage Transmission Multipath Fading Channel OFDM Signal Symbol Interval PSNR Performance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sakamoto, Y., Morimoto, M., Okada, M., Komaki, S.: A wireless multimedia communication system using hierarchical modulation. IEICE Trans. Commun. E81-B(12) (December 1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Wesel, E.K.: Wireless Multimedia Communications. Addison Wesely, London (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Weinstein, S.B., Ebert, P.M.: Data transmission by frequency- division multiplexing using the discrete fourier transform. IEEE Trans. Commun., Tech. COM-19(5), 628–634 (1971)Google Scholar
- 5.Van Nee, R., Prasad, R.: OFDM for Wireless Multimedia Communication. Artech House (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Prasad, R.: Universal Wireless Personal Communications. Artech, Boston (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Ogura, K., Miyazaki, A., Akaiwa, Y.: An error resilient still image transmission system for mobile radio communication. In: VTC 2004, vol. 3, pp. 2004–2008 (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Morimoto, M., Okada, M., Komaki, S.: A hierarchical image transmission system for multimedia mobile communication. IEICE Trans. Commun. E80-B(15) (December 1997)Google Scholar