Simulation of Internet Transport Protocols for High Bandwidth-Delay Networks
This paper addresses the simulation of communication networks with high bandwidth-delay products. We use hybrid models to overcome the computational/memory barriers that packet-level simulators encounter due to the large number of packets present in the network at every instant of time. We describe a set of software tools that constructs these hybrid models for general networks. The networks to be simulated and their parameters are specified in a network description script language (NDSL) and an NDSL translator automatically generates the corresponding a model in the hybrid systems specification language modelica. We also extend our previous hybrid modeling work to several variants of TCP that appeared recently to improve TCP’s poor performance in high bandwidth-delay product networks. To demonstrate the usefulness of software tools developed and the new TCP hybrid models, we discuss simulation results from Internet-2 Abilene backbone.
KeywordsPacket Loss Hybrid Model Average Throughput Queue Size Transport Protocol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yan, A., Gong, W.: Fluid simulation for high speed networks. IEEE Trans. on Inform. Theory (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Kumaran, K., Mitra, D.: Performance and fluid simulations of a novel shared buffer management system. In: Proc. of the IEEE INFOCOM, pp. 1449–1461 (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Bohacek, S., Hespanha, J.P., Lee, J., Obraczka, K.: A hybrid systems modeling framework for fast and accurate simulation of data communication networks. In: ACM SIGMETRICS (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.The VINT Project, a collaboratoin between researchers at UC Berkeley, LBL, USC/ISI, and Xerox PARC: The ns Manual (formerly ns Notes and Documentation) (2000), Available at, http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-documentation.html
- 5.Jin, C., Wei, D.X., Low, S.H.: Fast tcp: motivation, architecture, algorithms, performance. In: Proc. of the IEEE INFOCOM (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Floyd, S., Ratnasamy, S., Shenker, S.: Highspeed TCP for large congestion windows. RFC 3649 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Floyd, S.: Limited slow-start for TCP with large congestion windows. RFC 3742 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Tiller, M.M.: Introduction to Physical Modeling with Modelica. The Kluwer international series in engineering and computer science. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Bohacek, S., Hespanha, J.P., Lee, J., Obraczka, K.: Fairness of TCP/IP in high bandwidth-delay product networks. Technical report, USC, Los Angeles (2004)Google Scholar