Rotor Design for the Performance Optimization of Canard Rotor/Wing Aircraft
A program for the sizing and performance analysis is developed for Canard Rotor/Wing (CRW) aircraft which operates in both fixed wing and rotary wing modes. The system characteristics, such as reaction driven rotor system, are analyzed first and then the system design process is defined. The developed program is verified for both fixed wing and rotary wing modes with existing aircraft data and the design optimization process is performed for a reconnaissance mission. For the CRW aircraft optimization for both fixed wing and rotary wing modes, a multi-objective function is constructed using weighting factors. For several design cases with different weighting factors and several design constraints, the optimization analysis is performed and improved results are derived.
KeywordsDesign Variable Design Constraint Rotary Wing Design Optimization Process Fixed Wing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Smith, C.R.: Hot Cycle Rotor/Wing Composite Research Aircraft. Hughes Tool Company, Aircraft Division, Culver City, CA (1968)Google Scholar
- 2.Sutton, J.G., Sawicki, A.C.: X-wing Application. In: Presentation submitted to the Sixth Annual Northeast Regional Conference of the Society of Allied Weight Engineers, Smithtown, New York (1985)Google Scholar
- 3.Schwartz, A.W., Rogers, E.O.: Tipjet VLAR UAV: Technology Development Status. In: Paper presented at the 20th Annual Symposium and Exhibit of the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems, Washington, D.C. (1993)Google Scholar
- 4.Clark, A.M., Barvara, J.V.: The Canard Rotor Wing (CRW) Aircraft – A New Way To Fly. In: AIAA Symposium (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Ramon, L.: X-50 Dragonfly Poised For Takeoff. Aerospace America (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Helicopter-Plane Hybrid Ready For Take-Off (2002), http://www.newsciencist.com
- 7.DOT Users Manual, Vanderplaats Research & Development, Inc. (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Jane’s All the Worlds Aircraft 1995-1996, Jane’s Information Group, 594-595 (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Jane’s All the Worlds Aircraft 1991-1992, Jane’s Information Group, 385 (1995)Google Scholar
- 10.Lim, C.-H. (KARI), Overview of the SMART UAV PROGRAM. In: Euro-UVS 2003 Conference (2003)Google Scholar