Design of Opportunity Tree for Organization’s Process Strategy Decision-Making Based on SPICE Assessment Experience
With growing interest in Software Process Improvement (SPI), many companies are introducing international process models and standards. For efficient process improvement, work performance should be enhanced in line with organization’s vision by identifying areas for improvement and risks with process assessment standards such as SPICE or CMMI and then mapping them in the software development environment.. SPICE(Software Process Improvement and Capability dEtermination ISO/IEC 15504) is most widely used process assessment model in the SPI work today.
This paper expands the number of routes for improvement in the existing OTF model from 8 to 24 and the number of processes in SEF model from 40 of the TR version to 51 of the IS version. This paper proposes OTEM (Opportunity Tree Enterprise Model) which can provide optimal strategies for the organization’s vision by using Balanced Scorecard method to determine optimal strategies to the expanded routes for improvement.
KeywordsOptimal Route Vision Score Balance Scorecard Software Process Improvement Root Word
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Goethert, W.: Matt Fisher Deriving Enterprise-Based Measures Using the Balanced Scorecard and Goal-Driven Measurement Techniques, SEI Technical Note CMU/SEI-2003-TN-024 (October 2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Lynch, R.L., Cross, K.F.: Measure up! Blackwell, Malden (1995)Google Scholar
- 3.Florac, W.A., Carleton, A.D.: Measuring the software process, SEI. Addison Wesley, Reading (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Lee, K.w.: Quantitative Analysis for SPI. Corporation seminar (February 17, 2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Van Latum, F., Van Soligen, R.: Adopting GQM-Based Measurement in an industrial Environment. IEEE software (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Basili, V.R., Caldiera, G., Rombach, H.D.: Goal Question Metric Paradigm. In: Encyclopedia of Software Engineering, vol. 1, pp. 528–532. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (1994)Google Scholar
- 7.KSPICE (Korea Association of Software process Assessors), SPICE Assessment Report 2002–2004, http://kaspa.org
- 8.Song, K.-W.: Design of Opportunity Tree Framework for Effective Process Improvement based on Quantitative Project Performance. In: SERA 2005, CMU (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Lee, K.w.: ROI of IT Business. The Federation of Korean Information Industries (May 2003)Google Scholar
- 10.ISO/IEC JTC1/SC7 15504: Information Technology-Software Process Assessment, ISO, ver.3.3 (1998)Google Scholar
- 11.Kasse, T.: Action Focused Assessment for software process improvement. Artech House (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Boehm, B.: Value-Based Software Engineering: Case Study. IEEE Computer, 33–41 (2003)Google Scholar
- 13.Reifer, D.J.: Making the Software Business Case. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2002)Google Scholar