Design and Implementation of Middleware for Context-Aware Service Discovery in Ubiquitous Computing Environments
The purpose of service discovery techniques is to minimize the cost of detecting services and provide users with convenience, even though various devices and services exist. For more dynamic and useful service discovery, middleware for context-aware service discovery is required. In this paper, a middleware system is designed and implemented, based on the agent platform for context-aware service discovery. When a service is detected, context information relating to the user and environment is used. As a policy-based system, our middleware does not only use context information, but also use predefined policy. In other words, user preference can be considered. Also, it has authentication module, so users having authority can only access the middleware. Near the conclusion of this paper, a hospital scenario is composed and implemented, by applying the proposed middleware solution.
KeywordsContext Information Service Discovery Agent Platform Ubiquitous Environment Ubiquitous Computing Environment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.JADE Telecom Italia Lab (2005), http://jade.tilab.com
- 2.Dey, A.K., Abowd, G.D., Salber, D.: A Conceptual Framework and a Toolkit for Supporting the Rapid Prototyping of Context-Aware Applications. Human Computer Interaction Journal, Special Issue on Context-Aware Computing 16(1) (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Schilit, B., Adams, N., Want, R.: Context-Aware Computing Applications. In: Proc. of The IEEE Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications, Santa Cruz, California, USA (1994)Google Scholar
- 4.Packard, H.: Cooltown project (2004), http://www.cooltown.com/cooltown/index.asp
- 5.Dey, A.: The context toolkit (2004), http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~dey/context.html
- 6.Efstratiou, C., Cheverst, K., Davies, N., Friday, A.: An architecture for the Effective Support of Adaptive Context-Aware Applications. Mobile Data Management, 15–26 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Kouadri Mostefaoui, S., Tafat-Bouzid, A., Hirsbrunner, B.: Using Context Information for Service Discovery and Composition. In: Proc. of the 5th Conf. on information integration and web-based applications and services, Jakarta, pp. 129–138 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Universal Plug and Play Specification, v1.0, http://www.upnp.org
- 10.Choi, K.-H., Lee, K.M., Shin, H.-J., Shin, D.-R.: Efficient Algorithm for Service Matchmaking in Ubiquitous Environments. In: Proc. of the Springer on DEXA (EC-Web 2005), August 2005, pp. 258–266 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Kim, H.-J., Lee, K.M., Choi, K.-H., Shin, D.-R.: Service Discovery using FIPA-Compliant AP to Support Scalability in Ubiquitous Environments. In: Proc. of the IEEE on ICIS, July 2005, pp. 647–652 (2005)Google Scholar