Grid Service Implementation of Aerosol Optical Thickness Retrieval over Land from MODIS
To derive the actual land surface information quantitatively, the atmospheric effects should be correctly removed. Atmospheric effects dependent on aerosol particles, clouds and other atmosphere conditions. Aerosol parameters can be retrieved from the remotely sensed data. The retrieved aerosol characters can also be applied to environmental monitoring. To retrieval the aerosol optical thickness over land, many methods have been developed. The most popular one is the dark dense vegetation method. But it is confined to vegetation fields. The SYNTAM method can be used to retrieval aerosol optical thickness over land from MODIS data, no matter whether the land is dark or bright. In this paper, the SYNTAM method is applied to MODIS data for the retrieval of aerosol optical thickness over China. The retrieval process is complicated. And the EMS memory required is too large for a personal computing to run successfully. To solve this problem, the Grid environment is used. Our experiments were performed on the High-Throughput Spatial Information Processing Prototype System based on Grid platform in Institute of Remote Sensing Applications, Chinese Academy of Sciences. The aerosol optical thickness retrieval process is described in this paper. And the detail data query, data pre-processing, job monitoring and post-processing is discussed. Moreover, test results are also reported in this paper.
KeywordsRemote Sensing MODIS Data Grid Resource Grid Environment Aerosol Optical Thickness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aloisio, G., Cafaro, M., Epicoco, I., Quarta, G.: A problem solving environment for remote sensing data processing. In: Proceeding of ITCC 2004: International Conference on Information Technology: Coding and Computing held in Las Vegas, NV, USA, on April 5-7, vol. 2, pp. 56–61 (2004)Google Scholar
- Cai, G.Y., Xue, Y., Tang, J.K., Wang, J.Q., Wang, Y.G., Luo, Y., Hu, Y.C., Zhong, S.B., Sun, X.S.: Experience of remote sensing information modelling with grid computing. In: Bubak, M., van Albada, G.D., Sloot, P.M.A., Dongarra, J. (eds.) ICCS 2004. LNCS, vol. 3039, pp. 989–996. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Running, S.W., Justice, C.O., Salomonson, V.V., Hall, D., Barker, J., Kaufman, Y.J., Strahler, A.H., Huete, A.R., Muller, J.-P., Vanderbilt, V., Wan, Z.M., Teillet, P., Carneggie, D.: Terrestrial remote sensing science and algorithms planned for EOS/MODIS. International Journal of Remote Sensing 15(17), 3587–3620 (1994)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jiakui, T., Yong, X., Tong, Y., Yanning, G., Guoyin, C., Yincui, H.: Aerosol Optical Thickness Determination for Land Surface from MODIS data. Science in China (Ser. D Earth Sciences) 35(5), 1–8 (2005)Google Scholar
- Wang, J., Sun, X., Xue, Y., Hu, Y., Luo, Y., Wang, Y., Zhong, S., Zhang, A., Tang, J., Cai, G.: Preliminary study on unsupervised classification of remotely sensed images on the grid. In: Bubak, M., van Albada, G.D., Sloot, P.M.A., Dongarra, J. (eds.) ICCS 2004. LNCS, vol. 3039, pp. 981–988. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar