A Coupling Metric Applying the Characteristics of Components
A high coupling between components makes it difficult to build the modulation of software and the reuse of components, and to manage the system due to the ripple effect by software change impact. Thus, a coupling metric is required to measure the coupling between components in order to design software effectively. In this paper, we propose an approach to improving the existing component-based coupling metrics by considering the dependency about the structured relationships and the method call types between classes. In addition, we prove the theoretical soundness of the proposed metric by the axioms of briand et al. and suggest the accuracy and practicality of the proposed metric through a comparison with the conventional metrics.
KeywordsStatic Dependency Method Call Ripple Effect Conventional Metrics High Coupling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cheesman, J., Daniels, J.: UML Components: A Simple Process for Specifying Component-Based Software. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Sahraoui, H., Godin, R., Miceli, T.: Can Metrics Help to Bridge the Gap Between the improvement of OO Design Quality and its Automation? In: Proceedings of International Conf. on Software Maintenance, pp. 154–162 (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Chidamber, S.R., Kemerer, C.F.: A Metric Suite for Object-Oriented Design. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering 17(6), 636–638 (1994)Google Scholar
- 4.Henderson-Sellers, B.: Object-Oriented Metrics. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Lee, J.K., Jung, S.J., Kim, S.D.: Component Identification Method with Coupling and Cohesion. In: Proceedings of Asia Pacific Software Engineering Conference, pp. 79–88 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Koh, B.-S., Park, J.-N.: Improvement of Component Design using Component Metrics. KISS Journal, 980–990 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Briand, L.C., Morasca, S., Basili, V.R.: Property-based software engineering measurement. IEEE Trans. Software Eng. 22(1), 68–86Google Scholar
- 8.Kung, D.C., Gao, J., Hsia, P., Wem, F., Toyoshima, Y., Chen, C.: Change Impact Identification in Object Oriented Software Maintenance. In: Proceedings International Technical Conference on Ciecuit/Systems, Computers and Communications (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Kung, D.C., Gao, J., Hsia, P.: Class Firewall, Test Order, and Regression Testing of Object-Oriented Programs. Journal of Object-Oriented Programming, 51–65 (1995)Google Scholar
- 10.Rosenberg, D., Scott, K.: Applying Use Case Driven Object Modeling with UML. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2001)Google Scholar