Mathematical Modeling and Tabu Search Heuristic for the Traveling Tournament Problem
As professional sports have become big businesses all over the world, many researches with respect to sports scheduling problem have been worked over the last two decades. The traveling tournament problem (TTP) is defined as minimizing total traveling distance for all teams in the league. In this study, a mathematical model for the TTP is presented. This model is formulated using an integer programming (IP). In order to solve practical problems with large size of teams, a tabu search heuristic is suggested. Also, the concepts of alternation and intimacy were introduced for effective neighborhood search. Experiments with several instances are tested to evaluate their performances. It was shown that the proposed heuristic shows good performances with computational efficiency.
KeywordsInteger Programming Tabu Search Tabu Search Algorithm National Basketball Association Tabu Search Heuristic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anagnostopoulos, A., Michael, L.V., Hentenryck, P., Vergados, Y.: A simulated annealing approach to the traveling tournament problem. In: Proceeding of CP-AI-OR (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Benoist, T., Laburthe, F., Rottembourge, B.: Lagrangian relaxation and constraint programming collaborative schemes for traveling tournament problem. In: CP-AI-OR, pp. 15–26. Wye College (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Costa, D.: An evolutionary tabu search algorithm and the NHL scheduling problem. In: INFOR, vol. 3(33), pp. 161–178 (1995)Google Scholar
- 4.Easton, K., Nemhauser, G., Trick, M.: The traveling tournament problem description and benchmarks. In: Proceeding of the 7th International Conference on the Principle and Practice of Constraint Programming, Paphos, Cyprus, pp. 580–589 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Ferland, J.A., Fleurent, C.: Computer aided scheduling for a sport league. In: INFOR, vol. 29(1), pp. 14–25Google Scholar
- 8.James, C.B., John, R.B.: Reducing traveling costs and player fatigue in National Basketball Association. The Institute of Management Science 10(3), 98–102 (1980)Google Scholar
- 9.Lim, A., Rodrigues, B., Zhang, X.: A simulated annealing and hill-climbing algorithm for the traveling tournament problem. European Journal of Operational Research 131, 78–94 (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Trick, M.: Challenge traveling tournament problem (2004), http://mat.gsia.cmu.edu/TTP/