Hybrid Evolutionary Algorithms for the Rectilinear Steiner Tree Problem Using Fitness Estimation
The rectilinear Steiner tree problem (RSTP) is to find a minimum-length rectilinear interconnection of a set of terminals in the plane. A key performance measure of the algorithm for the RSTP is the reduction rate that is achieved by the difference between the objective value of the RSTP and that of the minimum spanning tree without Steiner points. We introduced four evolutionary algorithm based upon fitness estimation and hybrid operator. Experimental results show that the quality of solution is improved by the hybrid operator and the calculation time is reduced by the fitness estimation. The best evolutionary algorithm is better than the previously proposed other heuristics. The solution of evolutionary algorithm is 99.4% of the optimal solution.
KeywordsEvolutionary Algorithm Minimum Span Tree Steiner Tree Steiner Point Hybrid Operator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bäck, T.: Evolutionary Algorithm in Theory and Practice. Oxford University Press, Oxford (1996)Google Scholar
- 2.Barreiros, J.: An Hierarchic Genetic Algorithm for Computing (near) Optimal Euclidean Stein Steiner Trees. In: Workshop on Application of hybrid Evolutionary Algorithms to NP-Complete Problems, Chicago (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Beasley, J.E.: OR-Library: distributing test problems by electronic mail. Journal of the Operational Research Society 41, 1069–1072 (1990)Google Scholar
- 6.France, R.L.: A note on the optimum location of new machines in existing plant layouts. J. Industrial Engineering 14, 57–59 (1963)Google Scholar
- 10.Hesser, J., Manner, R., Stucky, O.: Optimization of Steiner Trees using Genetic Algorithms. In: Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Genetic Algorithm, pp. 231–236 (1989)Google Scholar
- 12.Julstrom, B.A.: Encoding Rectilinear Trees as Lists of Edges. In: Proceedings of the 16th ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, pp. 356–360 (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.Sock, S.M., Ahn, B.H.: A New Tree Representation for Evolutionary Algorithms. Journal of the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers 31, 10–19 (2005)Google Scholar
- 16.Soukup, J., Chow, W.F.: Set of test problems for the minimum length connection networks. ACM/SIGMAP Newsletter 15, 48–51 (1973)Google Scholar
- 17.Warme, D.M., Winter, P., Zachariasen, M.: Exact Algorithms for Plane Steiner Tree Problems: A Computational Study. In: Du, D.Z., Smith, J.M., Rubinstein, J.H. (eds.) Advances in Steiner Tree. Kluser Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (1998)Google Scholar
- 18.Warme, D.M.: http://www.group-w-inc.com/warme/research