Verifier-Based Home Network Security Mechanism
The home network is expected to experience significant growth over next few years, as wireless and ubiquitous networking becomes more common and accessible. However, the broadcast nature of this technology creates new security issues. To ensure the effective deployment in home environments, network security must reach a certain level which is reasonably acceptable to the research community. The security mechanism for home networks must not require heavy computations, since usually consist of low CPUs capable, limited memory and storage, and mobility concerns. This paper presents a secure authentication and session key establishment mechanism suitable for home networks. The proposed scheme is based on the Secure Remote Password (SRP) protocol. The performance evaluation demonstrates that our proposed mechanism is more secure than previous ones while maintaining the similar level of security overhead including processing time.
KeywordsSecure Communication Security Mechanism Home Network Authentication Server Home Server
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Zhuge, J., Yao, R.: Security Mechanism for Wireless Home Network. In: Proc. of IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference 2003 (GLOBECOM 2003), vol. 3, pp. 1527–1531 (December 2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Wacker, A., et al.: A Key-Distribution Scheme for Wireless Home Automation Networks. In: Consumer Communication and Networking Conference (CCNC 2004), pp. 47–52. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhu, J., Ma, J.: A New Authentication Scheme with Anonymity for Wireless Environments. IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics 50, 231–235 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Ellison, C.M.: Home Network Security. Intel Technology Journal 6(4) (November 2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Taesombut, N., et al.: A Secure Registration Protocol for Multimedia Appliances in Wireless Home Networks. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Multimedia and Expo. (ICME 2003), vol. 3, pp. 6–9 (July 2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Wu, T.: The Secure Remote Password Protocol. In: Proceedings of the Internet Society Network and Distributed System Security Symposium, pp. 97–111 (March 1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Wu, T.: The SRP Authentication and Key Exchange System, IETF RFC 2945Google Scholar
- 11.National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Announcing the Secure Hash Standard, FIPS 180-1, U.S. Department of Commerce (April 1995)Google Scholar
- 12.Dai, W.: Crypto++ Library 5.0, At http://www.eskimo.com/~weidai/cryptlib.html