Performance Evaluation of the Flow-Based Router Using Intel IXP2800 Network Processors
Exponential increment of users and emergence of realtime services with QoS requirements cause a great change of Internet traffic characteristics from early best-effort characteristics. The currently developed packet-based router with MPLS and DiffServ technologies has still limitations on providing services with QoS guarantee. Hence, a flow-based router is introduced for dealing with realtime services with QoS requirements. This paper proposes a flow-based router using Intel IXP2800 network processors. By imposing flow-awareness into IXP2800, the proposed flow-based router has basic functionalities such as flow classification, flow maintenance, flow-based forwarding, and flow-based congestion resolution. And we analyze performance of the proposed flow-based router considering flow characteristics. The flow maintenance duration gives a great effect on its performance. Compared with the packet-based router using IXP2800 network processors, performance of the flow-based router is enhanced in terms of the packet processing time.
KeywordsInput Rate Inter Arrival Time Incoming Packet Packet Processing Output Interface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bonald, T., Oueslati, S., Roberts, J.: IP Traffic and QoS Control: The Need for a Flow-aware Architecture. In: Proceeding of WTC (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Caspian Networks, Inc.: Flow-State Routing: Rational and Benefits (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Awduche, D., et al.: Requirements for Traffic Engineering over MPLS. IETF RFC2702 (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Blacks, S., et al.: An Architecture for Differentiated Services. IETF RFC2475 (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Le Faucheur, F., Lai, W.: Requirements for Support of Differentiated Services-aware MPLS Traffic Engineering. IETF RFC3564 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Caspian Networks, Inc.: Stateless and Stateful QoS - A Comparison and Contrast (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Oueslati, S., Roberts, J.: A New Direction for Quality of Service: Flow Aware Networking. In: Proceedings of NGI (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Karvo, J., Ilvesmaki, M.: Nondeterministic Classifier Performance Evaluation for Flow based IP Switching. In: Proceedings of High Performance Networking, pp. 613–624 (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Bonald, T., Roberts, J.: Congestion at Flow Level and the Impact of User Behaviour. Computer Networks, 42 (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Adiletta, M., et al.: The Next Generation of Intel IXP Network Processors. Intel Technology Journal 6(3) (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Baker, F.: Requirements for IP Version 4 Routers. IETF RFC1812 (1995)Google Scholar