A Route Optimization Via Recursive CoA Substitution for Nested Mobile Networks
In nested mobile networks, the undesirable effects due to nonoptimal routing tends to get aggravated, leading to excessively long packet sizes and transfer delays. In this paper, in order to resolve the non-optimal routing problem, also known as ‘pinball routing problem’ in the literature, we propose a new route optimization scheme where the care-of address (CoA) in each binding update (BU) message is recursively substituted by the intermediate mobile routers in the mobile network. Through qualitative and numerical analyses, we show that the proposed scheme indeed demonstrates a greatly reduced signaling overhead in terms of packet sizes and number of BU messages required, thereby reducing the RO setup time and end-to-end transfer delay. We also show that the proposed scheme can be a good solution for the so-called intra-MoNET routing problem.
KeywordsMobile Node Home Agent Route Optimization Mobile Router Binding Update
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Johnson, D., Perkins, C., Arkko, J.: Mobility Support in IPv6, draft-ietf-mobileip-ipv6-24.txt, June 30 (2003)Google Scholar
- Devarapalli, V., Wakikawa, R., Petrescu, A., Thubert, P.: Network Mobility (NEMO) Basic Support Protocol, RFC 3963 (January 2005)Google Scholar
- Devarapalli, V., Wakikawa, R., Petrescu, A., Thubert, P.: Nemo Basic Support Protocol, draft-ietf-nemo-basic-support-02.txt (December 2003)Google Scholar
- Thubert, P., et al.: Taxonomy of Route Optimization models in the Nemo Context, Internet Draft (draft-thubert-nemo-ro-taxonomy-02), Internet Engineering Task Force (February 2004)Google Scholar
- Thubert, P., et al.: IPv6 Reverse Routing Header and its application to Mobile Networks, Internet Draft (draft-thubert-nemo-reverserouting-header-05), Internet Engineering Task Force (June 2004)Google Scholar
- Cho, H., Paik, E.K., Choi, Y.: RBU+: Recursive Binding Update for End-to-End Route Optimization in Nested Mobile Networks. LNCS, pp. 468–478. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- Baccelli, E., Clausen, T., Wakikawa, R.: Route Optimization in Nested Mobile Networks (NEMO) using OLSR. In: NCS 2005 (2005)Google Scholar