An Efficient Movement Management Method of Mobile Node in Mobile IPv6
As the number of Mobile IP user grows, the signal message overhead which is associated with mobility management in the IP networks will be concerned. It presents a critical challenge to Mobile IP as the number of mobile environment devices scale up. This paper introduces an efficient movement management method which reduces the cost of the mobility signal messages of a mobile user. The proposed scheme uses a paging scheme and reduces the cost of paging request messages. Also the characteristic of a communication of a user is considered. This document present comparative analysis results for HMIPv6, P-HMIPv6 and proposed scheme, and show that the proposed scheme can reduce the cost of signal message which is needed by user to support the mobility management. According to the result of performance analysis, the proposed scheme can reduce the movement management signal message cost as 43% compare with the HMIPv6.
KeywordsMobile Node Mobility Management Home Agent Signal Message Correspondent Node
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Johnson, D., Perkins, C., Arkko, J.: Mobility Support in IPv6, IETF RFC 3775 (June 2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Soliman, H., Castelluccia, C., El Malki, K., Bellier, L.: Hierarchical Mobile IPv6 Mobility Management (HMIPv6), IETF RFC 4140 (August 2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Lee, J.-s., Min, J.-h., Park, K.-s., Kim, S.-h.: Paging extention for Hierarchical Mobile IPv6: P-HMIPv6. In: IEEE ICOIN 2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.zhang, X., Campbell, A., Sawada, K., Barry, M.: P-MIP: Minimal Paging Extensions for Mobile IP, IETF, Internet Draft (July 2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Campbell, A., Comez, J., Wan, C.-Y., Kim, S., Turanyi, Z., Valko, A.: "Cellular IP," IETF draft-ietf-mobileip-cellularip-00.txt (January 2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Kempf, J.: Dormant Mode Host Alerting ("IP Paging") Problem Statement, IETF RFC 3132 (June 2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Kempf, J., Castelluccia, C., Mutaf, P., Nakajima, N., Ohba, Y., Ramjee, R., Saifullah, Y., Xu, X.: Requirements and Functional Architecture for an IP Host Alerting Protocol, IETF RFC 3154 (August 2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Narten, T., Nordmark, E., Simpson, W.: Neighbor Discovery for IP Version 6 (IPv6), IETF RFC 2461 (December 1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Kempf, J., Mutaf, P.: IP Paging Considered Unnecessary: Mobile IPv6 and IP Paging for Dormant Mode Location Update in Macrocellular and Hotspot Networks. In: Wireless Communications and Networking, WCNC 2003, IEEE, Los Alamitos (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Akyildiz, I.F., Ho, S.M., Lin, Y.-B.: Movement-based location update and selective paging for PCS networks. IEEE/ACM Trans. Networking, 4 (August 1996)Google Scholar
- 11.Xie, J., Akyildiz, I.F.: A Novel Distributed Dynamic Location Management Scheme for Minimizing Signaling Costs in Mobile IP. IEEE Transaction on Mobile Computing (July-September 2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Chung, Y.W., Sung, D.K., Hamid Aghvami, A.: Steady State Analysis of P-MIP Mobility Management. IEEE Communications Letters, 7(6) (June 2003)Google Scholar