Distributed Coordination and QoS-Aware Fair Queueing in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks
Shared channel, multihop wireless ad hoc network has some unique characteristics that make the fair scheduling in such environment challenging. In this paper we propose a new QoS-aware fair queueing model for ad hoc networks. Our proposed algorithm ensures a distributed coordination of fair channel access while maximize the throughput using spatial reuse of bandwidth. We consider the presence of both guaranteed and best effort flows. The goal is to satisfy the minimum bandwidth requirement of guaranteed flows and provide a fair share of residual bandwidth to all flows. We propose a flow weight calculation scheme to both guaranteed and best-effort flows and a distributed, localized mechanism to implement the time-stamp based ad hoc fair queueing model.
KeywordsSpatial Reuse Fair Schedule Flow Weight Residual Bandwidth Fair Queueing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Demers, A., Keshav, S., Shenker, S.: Analysis and simulation of a fair queueing algorithm. In: Proc. ACM SIGCOMM, August 1989, pp. 1–12 (1989)Google Scholar
- 2.Lu, S., Bharghavan, V., Srikant, R.: Fair scheduling in wireless packet networks. IEEE Trans. Netw., 473–489 (August 1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Ng, T.S., Stoica, I., Zhang, H.: Packet fair queueing algorithms for wireless networks with location-dependent errors. In: Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, San Francisco, CA, March 1998, pp. 1103–1111 (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Ramanathan, P., Agrawal, P.: Adapting packet fair queueing algorithms to wireless networks. In: Proc. ACM MOBICOM, pp. 1–9 (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Luo, H., Lu, S.: A self-coordinating approach to distributed fair queueing in ad hoc wireless networks. In: Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, April 2001, pp. 1370–1379 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Luo, H., Lu, S.: A topology-independent fair queueing model in ad hoc wireless networks. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Network Protocols, November 2000, pp. 325–335 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Chao, H.L., Liao, W.: Credit-based fair scheduling in wireless ad hoc networks. In: Proc. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conf. (September 2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Cheng, J., Lu, S.: Achieving Delay and Throughput Decoupling in Distributed Fair Queueing Over Ad Hoc Networks. In: IEEE ICCCN (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Chao, H.L., Liao, W.: Fair Scheduling With QoS Support in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks. IEEE Trans. on Wireless Comm. 3(6) (November 2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Goyal, P., Vin, H.M., Chen, H.: Start-time fair queueing: A scheduling algorithm for integrated service access. In: ACM SIGCOMM 1996 (August 1996)Google Scholar
- 11.Perkins, C., Belding-Royer, E., Das, S.: Ad hoc On-Demand Distance Vector (AODV) Routing, RFC 3561 (July 2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Bharghavan, V., Demers, A., Shenker, S., Zhang, L.: MACAW: A Medium Access Protocol for Wireless LANs. In: Proc. ACM Ann. Conf. Special Interest Group on Data Comm, SIGCOMM (1994)Google Scholar