A Novel Method for Energy-Efficient Clustering in Wireless Sensor Networks
Energy-efficiency, a prolonged network lifetime, and scalability are crucial requirements for wireless sensor networks. Clustering is a fundamental mechanism that designs energy-efficient wireless sensor network protocol and is an effective technique in achieving the above requirements. Recently, many clustering algorithms within various contexts have also been proposed, but to our knowledge, none of them considers outlier problem in configuring clusters. In this paper, we introduce an outlier problem in that a sensor node does not belong to any cluster.In existing clustering algorithms, we propose a solution to this outlier problem by using a relay node to transfer the sensed data of an outlier sensor node to its cluster head. Simulation results showed that the proposed scheme produced a superior performance in terms of energy-efficiency of wireless sensor networks.
KeywordsSensor Node Wireless Sensor Network Cluster Head Relay Node Network Lifetime
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Younis, O., Fahmy, S.: Distributed Clustering in Ad-hoc Sensor Networks: A Hybrid, Ennergy-Efficient Approach. In: Proc. of the IEEE INFOCOM (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Chan, H., Perrig, A.: An Emergent Algorithm for Highly Uniform Cluster Formation. In: Proc. of EWSN (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Krishnan, R., Starobinski, D.: Message-Efficient Self-Organization of Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Proc. of WCNC (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Bandyopadhyay, S., Coyle, E.: An Energy Efficient Hierarchical Clustering Algorithm for Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Proc. of the IEEE INFOCOM (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.MATLAB 7.0, http://www.mathworks.com