Adaptive Selection of MIPv6 and Hierarchical MIPv6 for Minimizing Signaling Cost
Internet engineering task force(IETF) has proposed hierarchical mobile IPv6(HMIPv6) in order to reduce a frequent location registration of a mobile node in mobile IPv6(MIPv6). All traffics toward a mobile node must be transmitted through a MAP in HMIPv6. This brings unnecessary packet latency because of the increased processing cost of packet at the MAP. At this point the processing cost of packet at the MAP is influenced both by the packet arrival rate for a mobile node and the number of mobile nodes in MAP domain. In this paper, we propose that MIPv6 and HMIPv6 are adaptively selected in order to minimize signaling cost of network as complementing weak points of MIPv6 and HMIPv6. After supposing by the packet arrival rate for a mobile node is fixed, with this in mind, we find the optimal number of mobile nodes compared the total cost of HMIPv6 with the total cost of MIPv6. Also, if mobile nodes that the MAP is able to manage are full in MAP domain, then a mobile node entering into the MAP domain is provided connection by MIPv6 instead of HMIPv6. In the conclusion, the proposed method of this paper shows that the weak points of MIPv6 and HMIPv6 are removed by adaptive selection each other.
KeywordsMobile Node Home Agent Access Router Correspondent Node Transmission Cost
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Johnson, D., Perkins, C., Arkko, J.: Mobility Support in IPv6. RFC3775, IETF (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Deering, S., Hinden, R.: Internet Protocol, Version 6(IPv6) Specification. RFC 2460, IETF (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Soliman, H., Catelluccia, C., Malki, K.E., Bellier, L.: Hierarchical Mobile IPv6 mobility management (HMIPv6). RFC4140, IETF (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Narten, T., Nordmark, E., Simpson, W.: Neighbor Discovery for IP Version 6(IPv6): RFC 2461 (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Castelluccia, C.: Extending Mobile IP with adaptive individual paging: a performance analysis. In: Proc. IEEE Symposium on Computer and Communications, pp. 113–118 (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Xie, J., Akyildiz, I.F.: An Optimal Location Management Scheme for Minimizing Signaling Cost in Mobile IP. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications ICC 2002, vol. 5, pp. 3313–3317 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Wang, Y., Chen, W., Ho, J.S.: Performance analysis of Mobile IP extended with routing agents. Technical Report 97-CSE-13, Southern Methodist University (1997)Google Scholar