A Component Cohesion Metric Applying the Properties of Linear Increment by Dynamic Dependency Relationships Between Classes
In Component-Based Development(CBD), by building new software with independently developed components, we can gain the benefits promised by the software reuse such as quality improvement and rapid development. Hence, methods to design the components in component-based system are very important and the component architecture should consist of highly cohesive components. Accordingly, to design highly cohesive components in component development phase, we propose new types of dynamic dependency relationship between classes and a component-based cohesion metric applying the properties of linear increment by dynamic dependency relationships between classes. In addition, we prove the theoretical soundness of the proposed metric by the axioms of briand et al. and suggest the accuracy and practicality of the proposed metric through a comparison with the conventional metrics.
KeywordsComponent Metrics Method Call Software Reuse Component Architecture Connectivity Strength
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dsouza, D.F., Wills, A.C.: Objects, Component, and Frame-works with UML: the Catalysis approach. Addison Wesley, Reading (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Jain, H.: Business Component Identification-A Formal Approach. In: Proceedings of Fifth IEEE, International Enterprise Distributed Object Computing Conference, pp. 183–187 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Atkinson, C., Bayer, J., Bunse, C., Kamsties, E., Laitenberger, O., Laqua, R., Muthig, D., Peach, B., Wust, J., Zettel, J.: Component-Based Product Line Engineering with UML. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Cheeseman, J., Daniels, J.: UML Components: A Simple Process for Specifying Component-Based Software. Addison Wesely, London (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Szyperski, C., Gruntz, D., Murer, S.: Component Software: Beyond Object-Oriented Programming, 2nd edn. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Kim, H.H., Bae, D.W.: Component Identification via Concept Analysis. Journal of Object Oriented Programming (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Lee, J.K., Jung, S.J., Kim, S.D.: Component Identification Method with Coupling and Cohesion. In: Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference, pp. 79–88 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Cho, E.S., Kim, M.S., Kim, S.D.: Component Metrics to Measure Component Quality. In: Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference, pp. 419–426 (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Ko, B.-S., Park, J.-N.: Improvement of Component Design using Component Metrics. Journal of KISS: Software and Applications 31(8), 980–990 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Chidamber, S.R., Kemerer, C.F.: A Metric Suite for Object-Oriented Design. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering 17(6), 636–638 (1994)Google Scholar
- 12.Henderson-Sellers, B.: Object-Oriented Metrics. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1996)Google Scholar
- 13.Lorenz, M., Kidd, J.: Object-Oriented Software Metrics: A Practical Guide. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1994)Google Scholar