Route Optimization Problems with Local Mobile Nodes in Nested Mobile Networks
As an extension of Mobile IPv6 to the case of network mobility (NEMO), the NEMO basic support protocol has been proposed. However, it suffers from some drawbacks such as pinball routing and large packet sizes in nested mobile networks (MoNET). In this paper we introduce new pinball routing problems associated with local mobile nodes in nested MoNETs and discuss on the effectiveness of several RO schemes in tackling the problems. Among the schemes we demonstrate that the RCS scheme can be an appropriate solution due to its low signaling overhead and short RO setup time compared to other approaches. Most importantly, we show that the RCS scheme is the unique solution for mobility support when a mobile network taking part in a nested MoNET changes its attachment point within the MoNET.
KeywordsMobile Node Home Agent Route Optimization Mobile IPv6 Optimize Link State Route
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Johnson, D., Perkins, C., Arkko, J.: Mobility support in IPv6. In: RFC 3775 (June 2004)Google Scholar
- Devarapalli, V., Wakikawa, R., Petrescu, A., Thubert, P.: Network Mobility (NEMO)Basic Support Protocol. In: RFC 3963 (January 2005)Google Scholar
- Thubert, P., et al.: Taxonomy of Route Optimization models in the Nemo Context, Internet Engineering Task Force (February 2004), Internet Draft draft-thubert-nemo-ro-taxonomy-02Google Scholar
- Ernst, T., et al.: Network Mobility Support Terminology, Internet Draft, Internet Engineering Task Force, October 24 (2005), draft-ietf-nemo-terminology-04,Google Scholar
- Thubert, P., et al.: IPv6 Reverse Routing Header and its application to Mobile Networks, Internet Draft, Internet Engineering Task Force (June 2004), draft-thubert-nemo-reverserouting- header-05Google Scholar
- Cho, H., Paik, E.K., Choi, Y.: RBU+: Recursive Binding Update for End-to-End Route Optimization in Nested Mobile Networks. LNCS, pp. 468–478. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- Baccelli, E., Clausen, T., Wakikawa, R.: Route Optimization in Nested Mobile Networks (NEMO) using OLSR. In: NCS 2005 (2005)Google Scholar
- Clausen, T., Jacquet, P.: Optimized Link State Routing Protocol. In: RFC 3626 (2003), http://ietf.org/rfc/rfc3626.txt
- Kim, H., Kim, G., Kim, C.: S-RO: Simple Route Optimization Scheme with NEMO Transparency. In: Kim, C. (ed.) ICOIN 2005. LNCS, vol. 3391, pp. 401–411. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- Kim, Y.B., Lee, K.-Y., Ku, H., Huh, E.: Route Optimization via Recursive CoA Substitution for Nested Mobile Networks, Preprint for publication (2006)Google Scholar