A Technical Assessment of SoC Methodologies and Requirements for a Full-Blown Methodology
SoC plays a key role in building software-intensive hardware systems such as embedded systems. It is commonly known that the complexity of SoC and the demand for shorter time-to-market are sharply increasing. However, current SoC methodologies do not address the trends and demands effectively. To provide SoC methodologies that satisfy these issues, the current SoC methodologies should be technically assessed so that the full requirement for future SoC methodologies can be formulated. In this paper, we first give a foundation on SoC, and summaries representative methodologies compared. For the comparison, we identified six comparison criteria and present in-depth assessments using logical reasoning in text, tables, and figures. Using the assessment, we define and elaborate three key requirements for future SoC methodologies; Balanced Process Framework, Reuse-focused Activity, and Traceability.
KeywordsEmbed System Technical Assessment Work Instruction Trace Link Related Tool
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Jerraya, A., Wolf, W.: Multiprocessor Systems-on-Chips. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, San Francisco (2005)Google Scholar
- Balarin, F., Sentovich, E., Chiodo, M., Giusto, P., Hsieh, H., Tabbara, B., Jurecska, A., Lavagno, L., Passerone, C., Suzuki, K., Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, A.: Hardwar-Software Co-design of Embedded Systems - The POLIS approach. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (1997)Google Scholar
- Bhattacharyya, S.S., et al.: Ptolemy II Heterogeneous Concurrent Modeling and Design in JAVA, Vol. 01. Introduction to Ptolemy II. University of California at Berkeley Technical memorandum UCB/ERL M05/21 (July 2005)Google Scholar
- Gupta, R.K., Micheli, G.D.: Hardware/Software Cosynthesis for Digital Systems. In: IEEE Design & Test of Computers, pp. 29–41 (September 1993)Google Scholar
- Ernst, R., Henkel, J., Benner, T.: Hardware/Software Cosynthesis for Micro-controllers. In: IEEE Design & Test of Computers, pp. 64–75 (December 1993)Google Scholar
- Gajski, D.D., Zhu, J., Dömer, R., Gerstlauer, A., Zhao, S.: SpecC: Specification Language and Methodology. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (2000)Google Scholar
- IEEE Computer Society and ACM, Guide to the Software Engineering Body of Knowledge (SWEBOK). IEEE Computer Society (2004), http://www.swebok.org
- Pressman, R.: Software Engineering: A Practitioner’s Approach, 6th edn. McGraw-Hill, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- Madisetti, V., Arpnikanondt, C.: A Platform-Centric Approach to System-on-Chip (SOC) Design. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- Information technology – Software life cycle processes, ISO/IEC 12207 (August 1995)Google Scholar