Minimum Cost Multicast Routing Based on High Utilization MC Nodes Suited to Sparse-Splitting Optical Networks
As the Internet traffic continues to grow exponentially, Wavelength Division Multiplexing (WDM) networks with tera bps bandwidth per fiber naturally emerge as backbone for next generation optical Internet. In particular, much research regarding multicast services has progressed for connecting source to destination nodes efficiently because multicast demands are increasing. However, sparse-splitting networks are more realistic than fully-splitting ones, since multicast-capable cross-connectors are expensive. In this paper, a heuristic method to minimize the cost of a multicast tree based mainly on Multicast-Capable nodes in sparse-splitting networks is proposed. According to the results of comprehensive simulations and compared to the previous algorithms, the proposed algorithm provides performance improvement up to about 16% in terms of wavelength channel cost.
KeywordsSource Node Destination Node Wavelength Division Multi Steiner Tree Multicast Tree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mukherjee, B.: Optical Communication Networks. McGraw-Hill, New York (1997)Google Scholar
- 2.Desurvive, E.: Erbium-Doped Fiber Amplifiers: Principles and Applications. Wiley, New York (1994)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhou, Y., Poo, G.-S.: A new multiwavelength multicast wavelength assignment (MMWA) algorithm in wavelength-routed WDM networks. IEEE Communications Magazine 3, 1786–1790 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Tseng, W.-Y., Kuo, S.-Y.: All-optical multicasting on wavelength-routed WDM networks with partial replication. In: IEEE Information Networking, pp. 813–818 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Yan, S., Ali, M., Deogun, J.: Route optimization of multicast sessions in sparse light-splitting optical networks. In: IEEE GLOBECOM, vol. 4, pp. 2134–2138 (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Sreenath, N., Krishna Mohan Reddy, N., Mohan, G., Siva Ram Murthy, C.: Virtual Source Based Multicast Routing in WDM Networks with Sparse Light Splitting. In: IEEE High Performance Switching and Routing, pp. 141–145 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Hsieh, C.-Y., Liao, W.: All Optical Multicast Routing in Sparse-Splitting Optical Networks. In: Proceedings of the 28th Annual IEEE International Conference on Local Computer Networks (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Calvert, K.: GT-ITM: Georgia Tech Inter-network Topology Models, http://www.cc.gatech.edu/fac/Ken.Calvert
- 17.Prim, R.C.: Shortest Connecting Networks and Some Gener- alizations. Bell System Tech. J. 36, 1389–1401 (1957)Google Scholar