Surface Reconstruction from Large Point Clouds Using Virtual Shared Memory Manager
Surface reconstruction is a common problem in computer graphics. Given a set of points sampled from some surface, a triangle mesh interpolating or approximating the points is to be obtained. One of very often used techniques for solving this problem is the selection of surface triangles from the set of Delaunay tetrahedronization faces. In the case of large data, it is difficult to obtain the tetrahedronization due to its huge memory requirements. One of possible solutions is to use distributed computing. Here, we describe the newly developed VSM (Virtual Shared Memory) distributed toolkit and its utilization for the task of surface reconstruction. By our approach, we were able to process dataset having 1.4M points on 4xP4 interconnected via 100Mb Ethernet in 6 hours. About 5GB of memory was consumed during the reconstruction.
KeywordsVoronoi Diagram Surface Reconstruction Voronoi Cell Work Program Triangle Mesh
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Bilas, A.: Improving the Performance of Shared Virtual Memory on System Area Networks. PhD thesis (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Carr, J.C., Beatson, R.K., McCallum, B.C., Fright, W.R., McLennan, T.J., Mitchell, T.J.: Smooth surface reconstruction from noisy range data. In: Proc. GRAPHITE, pp. 119–126. ACM Press, New York (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Dey, T.K., Giesen, J., Hudson, J.: Delaunay based shape reconstruction from large data. In: Proc. of the IEEE Symp. on Parallel and Large-Data Vis. and Graphics, pp. 19–27. IEEE Press, Los Alamitos (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Levoy, M., Pulli, K., Curless, B., Rusinkiewicz, S., Koller, D., Pereira, L., Ginzton, M., Anderson, S., Davis, J., Ginsberg, J., Shade, J., Fulk, D.: The digital michelangelo project: 3d scanning of large statues. In: Proc. of ACM SIGGRAPH, July 2000, pp. 131–144 (2000), http://www-graphics.stanford.edu/projects/mich
- 9.Li, K.: Shared virtual memory on loosely coupled multiprocessors. PhD thesis (1986)Google Scholar
- 10.Mencl, R., Müller, H.: Interpolation and approximation of surfaces from three-dimensional scattered data points. In: Scientific Vis. Conf (Dagstuhl), pp. 223–232. IEEE/CS (1997)Google Scholar
- 11.Mueller, C.: Hierarchical graphics databases in sort-first. In: Proceedings of IEEE Symposium on Parallel Rendering, pp. 49–57 (1997)Google Scholar
- 12.Varnuška, M.: Surface Reconstruction of Geometrical Objects from Scattered points. PhD thesis, Dep. of Computer Science, University of West Bohemia, Pilsen (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Varnuška, M., Kolingerová, I.: Improvements to surface reconstruction by crust algorithm. In: SCCG 2003 Budmerice, Slovakia, Comenius University Bratislava, pp. 101–109 (2003)Google Scholar