New Approach to Complexity Reduction of Intra Prediction in Advanced Multimedia Compression
H.264 is the new multimedia compression standard developed by VCEG and MPEG. In order to maximize the compression performance, H.264 adopts RDO mode decision techniques at the cost of very remarkable computational complexity. To reduce encoder complexity associated with the intra-prediction mode selection, in this paper, a fast intra prediction mode selection scheme is proposed. It is based on three improvement parts, including improvement of the intra prediction algorithm structure, fast selection between intra 4×4 block mode and intra 16×16 block mode, and the fast 4×4 luma block mode selection based on the luma similarity between reference pixels. Experimental results show that the proposed scheme outperforms Pan’s method, and compared with the test model JM8.6 provided by JVT, the proposed scheme reduces 83.10% coding time for intra frames and 50.94% coding time for all the frames while maintaining the PSNR and bit rate.
KeywordsMode Selection Prediction Mode Nonzero Coefficient Intra Prediction Block Mode
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ITU-T Rec. H.264 | ISO/IEC 11496-10 AVC. Document JVT-G050. 7th Meeting, Pattaya, Thailand (2003) Google Scholar
- 2.Topiwala, P., Sullivan, G., Joch, A., Kossentini, F.: Performance Evaluation of H.26L, TML 8 vs. H.263++ and MPEG-4. Santa Barbara, CA, USA (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Pan, F., Lin, X., Susanto, R., Lim, K.P., et al.: Fast Mode Decision for Intra Prediction, in ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 and ITU-T SG16 Q.6, JVT 7th Meeting, Pattaya II, Thailand (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Kim, C., Li, Q., Kuo, C.C.J.: Fast Intra-prediction model selection for H.264 codec. In: SPIE International Symposium ITCOM 2003, Orlando, Florida (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.ITU-T Rec. H.264 | ISO/IEC 11496-10 AVC. JM8.6. (2004) Google Scholar
- 7.Takagi, K., Takishima, Y., Nakajima, Y.: A study on rate distortion optimization scheme for JVT coder. In: Proc. SPIE Visual Communications and Image Processing 2003, vol. 5150, pp. 914–923 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.JVT Test Model Ad Hoc Group, Evaluation Sheet for Motion Estimation, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 and ITU-T SG16 Q.6, Draft version 4 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Bjontegaard, G.: Calculation of Average PSNR Differences between RD-curves, VCEG-M33, 13th VCEG Meeting, Austin, Texas, USA (2001)Google Scholar