A Fast Video Encoding Algorithm by Skipping the Operations on Zero-Valued DCT Coefficients
In this paper, we propose a computation-efficient DCT-based encoding algorithm for the standard video encoders. Most video coding standards consist of DCT and associated modules such as quantization, zigzag scan, VLC (Variable Length Coders). Commercial and standard video encoders implement the modules independently. In this paper, the relationship between the function modules is investigated and the unnecessary operations are removed. The simulation results show that the proposed method reduces the computation complexity of IDCT by 40 % compared with standard implementation.
KeywordsVideo Encoder Inverse Quantization Quantization Step Size Scanning Order Luminance Block
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Information Technology - Coding of Audio-Visual Objects - Part 2: Visual, ISO/IEC 14496-2:2001, ISO/IEC/SC29/WG11 (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Video Coding for Low Bitrate Communications, ITU-T Rec. H.263 (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Richardson, I.E.G., Zhao, Y.: Adaptive algorithms for variable-complexity video cod-ing. In: Proc. IEEE Int’l Conf. on Image Processing, vol. 1, pp. 457–460 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Kim, H.C., Yoo, K.Y.: Complexity-scalable DCT-based video coding algorithm for computation-limited terminals. IEICE Trans. On Communications E88-B(7), 2868–2871 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.UBC IPL, 263 TMN encoder software implementation, available online: http://www.ee.ubc.ca/image
- 6.ACTS-MoMuSys, M.-4.V.: encoder software implementation (ISO/IEC 14496-2), available online: http://www.chiariglione.org