Ontology-Based Edutainment System
Recently the Semantic Web is emerging as a solution to problems in the existing Web. The outstanding features of the Semantic Web could contribute to establishing more effective e-learning systems than a conventional web-based e-learning system. However, studies on its applications to e-learning are insufficient. In this paper, we present a new edutainment e-learning system that uses the Semantic Web technology. We extract learning contents from middle school textbooks to generate our ontology. With the ontology, we are developing a learner assessment system, a learning guidance system, and an edutainment learning system. The learner assessment system assesses the current state of a learner’s knowledge in the ontology. The learning guidance system categorizes the learners based on the results of the assessment system and dynamically generates a learning course to each learner. The edutainment learning system provides templates for making game-like items. We shall describe them respectively and state relations among them. Our system will be a good model of edutainment e-learning systems based on Semantic Web technologies.
KeywordsResource Description Framework Learning Content Authoring Tool Educational Game Knowledge Unit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Berners-Lee, T., Hendler, J., Lassila, O.: The Semantic Web. Scientific American (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Lassila, O., Swick, R.R: Resource Description Framework (RDF) Model and Syntax Specification, W3C Proposed Recommendation (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Mikael, N., Matthias, P., Ambjorn, N.: Semantic Web Meta-data for e-Learning Some Architectural Guidelines, http://www.aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de
- 7.Cristina, C., Xiaohong, Z.: Building and Evaluating an Intelligent Pedagogical Agent to Improve the Effectiveness of an Educational Game. In: Proceedings of the 2004 International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Ljiljana, S., Steffen, S., Sudi, S.: eLearning based on the Semantic Web, http://kmr.nada.kth.se
- 9.Pythagoras, K., Demetrios, S.: Adaptive Instructional Planning using Ontologies. In: The 4th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Manny, T., Jamie, M., Glen, R.: Flash Math Creativity. Friends of ED Press (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Richard, A.: Components for ASP. WROX Press (1999)Google Scholar
- 12.protégé-2000 project, http://protege.stanford.edu
- 13.ONTOPRISE, http://www.ontoprise.de
- 14.OilEd, http://oiled.man.ac.uk
- 15.ezOWL, http://iweb.etri.re.kr/ezowl