Yeast Naked DNA Spatial Organization Predisposes to Transcriptional Regulation
This paper presents a new structural-based approach to explore spatial organization of naked DNA on a whole chromosome sequence and its biological features related to gene regulation. A 3D trajectory representation on full-length yeast chromosomes based on Bolshoy’s conformation model is discussed. These trajectories are predicted by our visualizing system ADN-Viewer. Observations show interesting geometric properties of chromosomes dealing with variability of 3D structures and the fact that regions linearly distant could be spatially close. These new observed phenomena are correlated then with biological considerations. In particular, transcriptional co-regulation of the data of Lee et al., 2002 are exploited. A characterization parameter (RLS), ratio of linear distance and 3D one, was computed for each couple of genes. The co-regulated genes are found to be either linearly distant and spatially close, or linearly close. The co-regulated genes arranged in 1D-clusters could be detected directly in raw data. But, our model offers new predictions of co-regulated genes thanks to 3D-clusters. Then, we concluded that yeast naked DNA spatial organization seems to predispose to transcriptional regulation.
KeywordsLinear Distance Transcriptional Regulatory Network Virtual Reality Platform Interesting Geometric Property Sphere Digit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Rojdestvenski, I., Modjeska, D., Pettersson, F.: Sequence World: A Genetics Database in Virtual Reality. In: International Conference on Information Visualization IEEE, pp. 513–517 (2000)Google Scholar
- Randic, M., Vracko, M., Nandy, A., Basak, S.C.: On 3-D graphical representation of DNA primary sequences and their numerical characterization. J. Chem. Inf. Comput. Sci. 40, 1235–1244 (2000)Google Scholar
- Li, C., Wang, J.: On 3-D representation of DNA primary sequences. Comb. Chem. & High Throughput Screen 7, 23–27 (2004)Google Scholar
- Ponomarenko, M.P., Ponomarenko, J.V., Kel, A.E., Kolchanov, N.A.: Search for DNA conformational features for functional sites. In: Investigation of the TATA box. Proceedings of the International Pacific Symposium of Biocomputing, PSB (2000)Google Scholar
- Gherbi, R., Hérisson, J.: Representation and Processing of Complex DNA Spatial Architecture and its Annotated Content. In: Proceedings of the International Pacific Symposium of Biocomputing, PSB (2002)Google Scholar
- Gros, P.-E., Férey, N., Hérisson, J., Gherbi, R.: A Distributed Multimedia Database Visualization within an Immersive Environment for Bioinformatics. In: Proceedings of the International Conference of Bioinformatics and Applications, Lauderdale, FL, USA (2004)Google Scholar
- Shpigelman, A.S., Trifonov, E.N., Bolshoy, A.: CURVATURE: Software for the analysis of curved DNA. Comput. Appl. Biosci. 9, 435–440 (1993)Google Scholar