Revealing Statistical Independence of Two Experimental Data Sets: An Improvement on Spearman’s Algorithm
A high effective statistical independence test procedure derived from Spearman’s Rank Correlation Test is presented, applicable to all kind of continuous variables (normal or not, even of unknown probability law). Some relevant practical signal processing test examples as well as a Monte Carlo performance comparison with Spearman’s Rank Correlation Test capabilities are explained. Besides describing the test procedure algorithm, the paper reveals, from an engineering point of view, some significant aspects concerning the understanding (perception) of the important and not simple concepts, i.e. testing dependence versus statistical independence.
KeywordsScatter Diagram Statistical Independence Chaotic Signal Independence Test Linear Regression Slope
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Devore, J.: Probability and Statistics for Engineering and the Sciences, 2nd edn. Brooks/Cole Publishing Company (1987)Google Scholar
- Walpole, R.E., Myers, R.H.: Probability and Statistics for Engineers and Scientists, 4th edn. MacMillan Publishing, Basingstoke (1989)Google Scholar
- Mood, A., Graybill, F., Boes, D.: Introduction to the Theory on Statistics, 3rd edn. McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York (1974)Google Scholar
- Craiu, V.: Verificarea ipotezelor statistice, Ed. Didactică şi Pedagogică, Bucureşti (1972)Google Scholar
- Badea, B., Vlad, A.: Testing the Statistical Independence of Continuous Random Variables. A New Robust Algorithm. In: Proc. IEEE Intl. Symp. on Signals, Circuits and Systems-ISSCS 2005, Iaşi, Romania, pp. 171–174 (July 2005)Google Scholar
- Lévine, B.: Fondements Théoriques de la Radiotechnique Statistique. Tome II, Edition Mir, Moscou (1973)Google Scholar
- Mihoc, G., Urseanu, V.: Matematici aplicate în statistică. Ed. Academiei, Bucureşti (1962)Google Scholar
- Iosifescu, M., Moineagu, C., Trebici, V., Ursianu, E.: Mică Enciclopedie de Statistică. Ed. Ştiinţifică şi Enciclopedică, Bucureşti (1985)Google Scholar
- Iosifescu, M., Mihoc, G., Theodorescu, R.: Teoria probabilităţilor şi statistică matematică. Ed. Tehnică, Bucureşti (1966)Google Scholar