A New Key Management Scheme for Distributed Encrypted Storage Systems
Data on a storage device are easier targets for malicious attackers. Storing data in an encrypted form is an effective way to improve data security. In an encrypted storage system, key management is one of the most challenging tasks. In this paper, we propose a new key management scheme for distributed encrypted storage that has various salient features. First, in the proposed scheme, encryption keys are not directly known to users. Due to this property, the security of the encrypted data is not deteriorated though some users that have shared the data lose the access right. Second, in the proposed scheme, even if some components of the system are attacked, the security of the system is still guaranteed. Third, the system provides high availability by exploiting the secret sharing scheme.
KeywordsStorage Server Secret Sharing Scheme Encrypt Data Access Permission Encrypt Form
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.IPSec Working Group: IP Security Protocol (ipsec). Technical report, The Internet Engineering Task Force IETF (2002), http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ipsec-charter.html
- 2.Ylonen, T., Kivinen, T., Saarinen, M., Rinne, T., Lehtinen, S.: SSH Protocol Architecture. Technical report, The Internet Engineering Task Force IETF (2002), http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-secsharchitecture-13.txt
- 3.Dierks, T., Allen, C.: The TLS Protocol Version 1.0. Technical report, The Internet Engineering Task Force IETF (1999), http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2246.txt
- 4.Zou, X.: Secure Group Communications and Hierarchical Access Control. PhD. Thesis, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, USA (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Birget, J.-C., Zou, X., Noubir, G., Ramamurthy, B.: Hierarchical-based Access Control in Distributed Environments. International Conference on Communications (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Sun, Y., Ray Liu, K.J.: Scalable Hierarchical Access Control in Secure Group Communications. IEEE INFOCOM (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Seitz, L., Pierson, J.-M.: Key Management for Encrypted Data Storage in Distributed Systems. In: Second IEEE International Security in Storage Workshop (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Kim, Y., Narasimha, M., Maino, F., Tsudik, G.: Secure Group Services for Storage Area Networks. In: IEEE Security in Storage Workshop (2002)Google Scholar