On a Face Recognition by the Modified Nonsingular Discriminant Analysis for a Ubiquitous Computing
This paper presents an efficient face recognition by the modified nonsingular discriminant analysis for a ubiquitous computing. It is popular to extract discriminant features using Fisher linear discriminant analysis (LDA) for general face recognition. In this paper, we propose the modified nonsingular discriminant analysis in order to overcome the problem of small sample size and prone to be unrealizable due to the singularity of scatter matrices. The scatter matrix of transformed features is nonsingular. From the experiments on facial databases, we find that the modified nonsingular discriminant feature extraction achieves significant face recognition performance compared to other LDA-related methods for a limited range of sample sizes and class numbers. Also, recognition by the modified nonsingular discriminant analysis by using TMS320C6711 DSP Vision Board is set to highlight the advantages of our algorithm.
KeywordsFace Recognition Linear Discriminant Analysis Ubiquitous Computing Scatter Matrix Fisher Criterion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Liao, C.P., Chein, J.T.: Nonsingular discriminant feature extraction for face recognition. ICASSP 4, 957–960 (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Burrus, C.S., Gopinath, R.A., Guo, H.: Introduction to Wavelets and Wavelet Transforms. Prentice Hall International, New Jersey (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Prasad, L., Lyenger, S.S.: Wavelet Anaysis with Applications Image Processing. CRC Press, Boca Raton (1997)Google Scholar
- 8.Akansu, A.N., Haddad, R.A.: Multiresolution Signal Decomposing, Transforms, Subband, and Wavelets. Academic Press, INC., Harcount Brace Javanovichm (1992)Google Scholar
- 9.Chan, A.K., Peng, C.: Wavelets for sensing Technologies. Arthech House, Inc., Boston (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Kim, J.S.: Real-time implementation of face recognition by the lda-based algorithm for a video surveillance system on DSP. Master’s thesis, Kwangwoon University (February 2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Wang, X., Tang, X.: Dual-space linear discriminant analysis for face recognition. In: Proceeding of the 2004 IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 711–720 (2004)Google Scholar