Statistical QoS Assurances for High Speed Wireless Communication Systems
In this paper we propose the use of statistical QoS guarantees for transmission over the wireless channel. Here, instead of QoS assurances we propose to guarantee the percentage of time the QoS requirements are satisfied. We present an associated scheduling algorithm for the opportunistic multiple access system. We compare the proposed scheduler with popular schedulers from the literature. We observe that the statistical QoS guarantee is an attractive alternative to the assured QoS for the wireless platform since such strict QoS assurances decrease the wireless system performance significantly.
KeywordsSchedule Algorithm Expedite Forwarding Assured Forwarding Good Channel Condition Proportional Fair Scheduler
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Blake, S., Black, D., Carlson, M., Davies, E., Wang, Z., Weiss, W.: RFC 2475: An Architecture for Differentiated Services. IETF (December 1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Heinanen, J., Baker, F., Weiss, W., Wroclawski, W.: Assured Forwarding PHB Group. RFC 2597 (June 1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Jacobson, V., Nichols, K., Poduri, K.: An Expedited Forwarding PHB Group. RFC 2598 (June 1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Clark, D., Wroclawski, J.: An Approach to Service Allocation in the Internet. Internet Draft, MIT LCS (July 1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Knopp, R., Humblet, P.: Information Capacity and Power Control in Single Cell Multi-User Communications. In: Proceedings of the IEEE ICC 1995 Conference, Seattle, WA (June 1995)Google Scholar
- 7.TIA/EIA/IS-856: cdma2000 High Rate Packet Data Air Interface Specification, em 3GPP2, C.S0024, v4.0 (October 2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Jalali, A., Padovani, R., Pankaj, R.: Data Throughput of CDMA-HDR: A High Efficiency-High Data Rate Personal Communications System. In: Proceedings of the IEEE VTC 2000 Conference, Tokyo, Japan (May 2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Shakkottai, S., Stolyar, A.: Scheduling Algorithms for a Mixture of Real-Time and Non-Real-Time Data in HDR. Bell Laboratories Technical Report (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Liu, X., Chong, E.K.P., Shroff, N.: Transmission Scheduling for Efficient Wireless Resource Utilization with Minimum-Performance Guarantees. In: Proceedings of the INFOCOM Conference, pp. 776–785 (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.International Telecommunication Union, Guidelines for Evaluation of Radio Transmission Technologies for IMT-2000, Recommendation, ITU-R, M.1225 (1997)Google Scholar
- 15.Stuber, G.L.: Principles of Mobile Communications, 2nd edn. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (2001)Google Scholar