WLAN Service Coverage Based on PixelFlow Predictions
Increase of WLAN network deployments lead to the need of developing tools to predict coverage in terms of available service. In this paper we propose to establish service coverage based only on approximate floor plans by using the so-called PixelFlow algorithm. This algorithm is based on discrete version of the Huygens principle and appears to be rather robust to approximation in the floor plan. Measurements of service performances have been undertaken and used to calibrate the prediction results. Since the conventional calibration based on prediction errors is not the goal of service coverage prediction, a new metric has been developed to quantify differences between predicted and measured boundaries of the service coverage. Despite the complex impact of inaccuracies related to floor plan, wall material, radio propagation and WLAN protocols, it appears that the service coverage prediction proposed here is suitable to ease the radio network design of indoor Wi-Fi system.
KeywordsPrediction Error Access Point Service Performance Business Service Floor Plan
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [CSN04]Ci, S., Sharif, H., Noubir, G.: Improving Goodput of the IEEE 802.11 MAC Protocol by Using Congestion Control Methods. International Journal on Wireless and Optical Communications (IJWOC) 1(2), 1–9 (2004)Google Scholar
- [LUT95]Luthi, P.O., Chopard, B., Wagen, J.-F.: Wave Propagation in Urban Microcells: a Massively Parallel Approach Using the TLM Method. In: Waśniewski, J., Madsen, K., Dongarra, J. (eds.) PARA 1995. LNCS, vol. 1041, pp. 408–418. Springer, Heidelberg (1996)Google Scholar
- [LUT98]Luthi, P.O.: Lattice Wave Automata: from radio wave to fracture propagation. PhD thesis, Computer Science Department, Univ. of Geneva, 24 rue General-Dufour, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland (1998)Google Scholar
- [JOH71]Johns, P.B., Beurle, R.L.: Numerical solution of 2-dimensional scattering problems using a transmission-line matrix. Proc. of IEEE 118 (September 1971)Google Scholar
- [ECH05]Echenard, N.: Logiciel de prédiction des couvertures pour les réseaux sans fil. Master Thesis, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (October 2005), www.epfl.ch
- [GAR04]Gardiol, F.: Électromagnétisme, Traité d’Électricité. In: PPUR, vol. 3 (2004), ISBN 2-88074-508-XGoogle Scholar
- [WJF04]Wagen, J.-F.: Unpublished results obtained during a practical classroom work using the netperf software with eight laptops served by a single access points (November 2004)Google Scholar