CAMPS: A Middleware for Providing Context-Aware Services for Smart Space
Context-awareness enhances intelligent behaviors in pervasive computing environments, although it is still a great challenge to enable context-awareness due to lack of effective infrastructure to support context-aware applications. In this paper, we present an agent-based middleware called CAMPS for providing context-aware services for Smart Space in order to afford effective supports for context acquisition, representation, interpretation, and utilization to applications. In CAMPS, a formal context model, which combines First Order Probabilistic Logic with OWL ontologies, has been investigated to facilitate context modeling and reasoning about imperfect and ambiguous contextual information and to enable context knowledge sharing and reuse. A context inference mechanism based on an extended Bayesian Network approach has been studied to enable automated reactive and deductive reasoning. In addition, we implement a prototype and study on our experience in smart classroom application.
KeywordsBayesian Network Pervasive Computing Context Data Context Knowledge Smart Space
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dey, A.K., Salber, D., Abowd, G.D.: A conceptual framework and a toolkit for supporting the rapid prototyping of context-aware applications. Human Computer Interaction (HCI) Journal - Special Issue on Context-aware Computing 4(2-4), 97–166 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Strang, T., Linnhoff-Popien, C.: A context modeling survey. In: Proc. UbiComp workshop on Advanced Context Modeling, Reasoning and Management (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Poole, D.: First-order probabilistic inference. In: Proc. IJCAI, pp. 985–991 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Guarino, N.: Formal ontology and information systems. In: Proc. FOIS, pp. 3–15 (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.OWL Web Ontology Language Guide, http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-guide/
- 8.Ding, Z.L., Peng, Y., Pan, R.: Bayesowl: Uncertainty modeling in semantic web ontologies. Soft Computing in Ontologies and Semantic Web 27 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.DAML-Time, http://www.cs.rochester.edu/ferguson/daml/
- 10.OWL-S: Semantic Markup for Web Services, http://www.daml.org/services/owl-s/1.1/
- 11.Rish, I., Dechter, R.: On the impact of causal independence. In: Stanford Spring Symposium on Interactive and Mixed-Initiative Decision Theoretic Systems, pp. 101–108 (1998)Google Scholar
- 12.Xie, W.K., Shi, Y.C., Xu, G.Y., Mao, Y.H.: Smart platform - a software infrastructure for smart space (siss). In: Proc. ICMI, pp. 429–436 (2002)Google Scholar
- 13.Chen, H., Finin, T., Joshi, A.: An ontology for context-aware pervasive computing environments. Knowledge Engineering Review - Special Issue on Ontologies for Distributed Systems 18(3), 197–207 (2004)Google Scholar