Reducing Binding Updates in High Speed Movement Environment Based on HMIPv6
In this paper, we propose a new mobile host protocol that is optimized to provide access to a Mobile IP enabled internet in support of fast moving wireless hosts. Actually, for fast moving wireless hosts, we need certain environment for seamless mobile computing that internet mobile users have to sit down or put laptop computer on some place, and so on. It could be using vehicles: automobile, train, subway, train express (TGV), etc. To address this, we define high speed movement environment. Then, we make up high speed movement environment to virtual organization (VO). Finally, we propose optimized hierarchical protocol in high speed movement environment that classifies global mobility into VO mobility (within a VO) and global mobility management. Handoffs in VO are locally managed and transparent to corresponding host (CH) while global mobility is managed with Mobile IPv6. Our proposed protocol improves handoff performance and significantly reduces signaling overhead for fast moving wireless hosts.
KeywordsMobile Host Home Agent Virtual Organization Mobile IPv6 Mobility Anchor Point
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Johnson, D., Perkins, C., Arkko, J.: Mobility Support in IPv6, Internet draft (work in progress), draft-ietf-mobileip-ipv6-24.txt (June 2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Soliman, H., Castelluccia, C., Malki, K.E., Bellier, L.: Hierarchical MIPv6 mobility management (HMIPv6), Internet Engineering Task Force draft-ietf-mobileip-HMIPv6- 04.txt (July 2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Campbell, A.T., Gomez, J., Kim, S., Turanyi, Z., Wan, C.-Y., Valko, A.: Cellular IP. Internet Engineering Task Force, draft-ietf-mobileip -cellularip-00.txt (January 2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Williams, C.: Localized Mobility Management Requirements, Internet Engineering Task Force draft-ietf-mobileip-lmm-requirements-04.txt (October 2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Kempf, J.: Leveraging Fast Handover Protocols to Support Localized Mobility Management in Mobile IP, Internet Engineering Task Force draft-kempf- mobileip-fastho -lmm- 00.txt (June 2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Narten, T., Nordmark, E., Simpson, W.: Neighbor Discovery for IP Version6 (IPv6), RFC 2461 (December 1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Chakravorty, R., Pratt, I.: Performance issues with general packet radio service. Journal of Communications and Networks 4(2) (December 2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Xie, J., Akyildiz, I.F.: A novel distributed dynamic location management scheme for minimizing signaling costs in Mobile IP. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (3), 163–175 (2002)Google Scholar