Are Low PANs a PAN or an Internet of PANs?
ZigBee has recently emerged as a widely recognized forum that is formalizing IEEE802.15.4 devices for interoperability and compatibility amongst a number of vendors and designers. Under the auspices of IETF working group of 6lowPAN, efforts are underway to provide interconnectivity between low powered IEEE802.15.4 devices and wired IPv6 domain. Besides a plethora of interoperability issues, routing stands out as a challenging consideration. In this paper, we have discussed the routing approaches adopted in current ZigBee device specifications and existing work under the 6lowPAN charter. We describe, through a protocol, how to involve gateways in routing functionality in 6lowPAN networks. Through NS2-based simulation study, our performance analysis amenably supports the applicability of our protocol.
KeywordsLink Layer RREQ Packet IPv6 Address IPv6 Packet Multiple Gateway
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Montenegro, G.: Transmission of IPv6 Packets over IEEE 802.15.4 Networks. Draft-ietf- 6lowpan-format-00.txt, (work in progress) (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.ZigBee Specifications, ZigBee Document 053474r06. ver. 1.0, ZigBee Alliance (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Charles, P., Elizabeth, B.R., Samir, D.: Ad hoc on-demand distance vector (AODV) routing, IETF Internet RFC 356 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Gabriel, M., Nandu, K.: AODV for IEEE 802.15.4 Networks. Draft-montenegro- lowpanaodv- 00, (work in progress) (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Kim, K., Kim, H., Park, S., Montenegro, G., Yoo, S.: 6LowPAN Ad Hoc On-demand Distance Vector Routing (LOAD). Draft-daniel-6lowpan-load-adhoc-routing-01.txt (work in progress) (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Kim, K., Yoo, S., Kim, H., Park, S., Daniel Park, S., Lee, J.: Interoperability of 6LowPAN. Draft-daniel- 6lowpan-interoperability-01.txt (work in progress) (2005)Google Scholar