On the Performance of a Hybrid Routing Protocol for Blueweb: A Bluetooth-Based Multihop Ad Hoc Network
Blueweb is a self-organizing Bluetooth-based multihop network with an efficient scatternet formation algorithm. Blueweb’s scatternet formation uses two mechanisms. One is the role exchange mechanism in which only slave nodes serve as relays throughout the whole scatternet. The other one is the return connection mechanism in which we convert the scatternet from a tree-shaped to a web-shaped topology. In this paper, a modified source routing protocol is proposed for Blueweb in which we combine the proactive method locally with the reactive method globally to discover the optimal path for packet transmission. In addition, we use computer simulations to evaluate the routing performance of Blueweb with a uniform end-to-end traffic model. Our simulation results show that Blueweb can achieve good system performance with the modified source routing protocol.
KeywordsData Packet Query Time Average Packet Master Node Traffic Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Specification of the Bluetooth System, vol. 1, Core. Version 1.1 (February 22, 2001), http://www.bluetooth.com
- 2.Johansson, P., Johansson, N., Korner, U., Elg, J., Svennarp, G.: Short range radio based ad hoc networking: performance and properties. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications, vol. 3, pp. 1414–1420 (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Wang, Z., Thomas, R.J., Haas, Z.: Bluenet – A New Scatternet Formation Scheme. In: Proceedings of the 35th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, pp. 779–787 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Zaruba, G.V., Basagni, S., Chlamtac, I.: Bluetrees-scatternet formation to enable Bluetooth- based ad hoc networks. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications, June 2001, vol. 1, pp. 273–277 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Bhagwat, P., Segall, A.: A Routing Vector Method (RVM) for Routing in Bluetooth Scatternets. In: IEEE International Workshop on Mobile Multimedia Communications, pp. 375–379 (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Prabhu, B.J., Chockalingam, A.: A Routing Protocol and Energy Efficient Techniques in Bluetooth Scatternets. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications, ICC 2002, pp. 3336–3340 (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Kapoor, R., Gerla, M.: A zone routing protocol for Bluetooth scatternets. IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking 3, 1459–1464 (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Yu, C.M., Huang, C.C.: Introduction to Blueweb: A New Bluetooth-based Multihop Ad Hoc Network. In: International Conference on Wireless Network (June 2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Horowitz, E., Sahni, S., Mehta, D.: Fundamentals of Data Structures in C++. Computer Science Press, New York (1995)Google Scholar