An Architecture for Developing Context-Aware Systems
This paper proposes a component-based architecture and development methodology for context-aware systems. A context is formally defined from relational point of view. The architecture of a context-aware system is conceived as a composition of the two components context constructor and context adapter. To process dynamically changing contextual information, we introduce context calculus as the formal basis of context manipulation. The information and its sources are abstracted within this formal definition. As an illustration of the principles involved in developing a context-aware system, we discuss the Anti-lock Braking System problem.
Keywordscontext context-awareness co-design components
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Dey, A.K., Salber, D., Abowd, G.D.: A Conceptual Framework and a Toolkit for Supporting the Rapid Prototyping of Context-aware Applications. Anchor article of a special issue on Human Computer Interaction 16 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Dowty, D., Wall, R., Peters, S.: Introduction to Montague Semantics. Reidel Publishing Company (1981)Google Scholar
- 6.Guha, R.V.: Contexts: A Formalization and Some Applications. Ph.d thesis, Stanford University (February 10, 1995)Google Scholar
- 7.Cheverst, K., Davies, N., Mitchell, K., Efstratiou, C.: Using Context as a Crystal Ball: Rewards and Pitfalls. Personal Technologies Journal 3(5), 8–11 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.McCarthy, J.: Notes on formalizing context. In: Proceedings of the Thirteenth International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (1993)Google Scholar
- 9.Muthiayen, D.: Real-Time Reactive System Development - A Formal Approach Based on UML and PVS. Phd. Thesis, Department of Computer Science, Concordia University, Montreal, Canada (January 2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Pascoe, J.: Adding Generic Contextual Capabilities to Wearable Computers. In: Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Wearable Computers, pp. 92–99 (1998)Google Scholar
- 12.Schilit, B., Theimer, M.: Context-aware Computing Applications. In: Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems Applications, pp. 85–90 (1994)Google Scholar
- 14.Wan, K.: Lucx: Lucid Enriched with Context. Ph.d thesis, Concordia University (January 2006)Google Scholar