Adaptive Online Multi-stroke Sketch Recognition Based on Hidden Markov Model
This paper presents a novel approach for adaptive online multi-stroke sketch recognition based on Hidden Markov Model (HMM). The method views the drawing sketch as the result of a stochastic process that is governed by a hidden stochastic model and identified according to its probability of generating the output. To capture a user’s drawing habits, a composite feature combining both geometric and dynamic characteristics of sketching is defined for sketch representation. To implement the stochastic process of online multi-stroke sketch recognition, multi-stroke sketching is modeled as an HMM chain while the strokes are mapped as different HMM states. To fit the requirement of adaptive online sketch recognition, a variable state-number determining method for HMM is also proposed. The experiments prove both the effectiveness and efficiency of the proposed method.
KeywordsHide Markov Model Composite Feature Handwriting Recognition Handwritten Character Hide Markov Model State
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Landay, J.A., Myers, B.A.: Sketching Interfaces: toward more human interface design. IEEE Computer 34(3), 56–64 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Fonseca, M.J., Pimentel, C., Jorge, J.A.: CALI - an online scribble recognizer for calligraphic interfaces. In: AAAI Spring Symposium on Sketch Understanding, pp. 51–58. AAAI Press, Menlo Park (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Calhoun, C., Stahovich, T.F., Kurtoglu, T., et al.: Recognizing multi-stroke symbols. In: AAAI Spring Symposium on Sketch Understanding, pp. 15–23. AAAI Press, Menlo Park (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Xu, X., Sun, Z., Peng, B., et al.: An online composite graphics recognition approach based on matching of spatial relation graphs. International Journal of Document Analysis and Recognition 7(1), 44–55 (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Jianying, H., Brown, M.K., Turin, W.: HMM-based online handwriting recognition. IEEE Transactions on PAMI 18(10), 1039–1045 (1996)Google Scholar
- 13.Nakai, M., Akira, N., Shimodaira, H., et al.: Sub-stroke approach to HMM-based On-line Kanji Handwriting Recognition. In: International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, pp. 491–495 (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Lee, J.J., Kim, J.W., Kim, J.H.: Data-driven design of HMM Topology for on-line handwriting recognition. In: Hidden Markov models: applications in computer vision. World Scientific Series, pp. 107–121 (2001)Google Scholar