Evaluation of an Efficient Parallel Object Oriented Platform (EPOOP) for Control Intensive Intelligent Applications
A small scale distributed computing system that is able to meet the needs of parallel intelligent techniques for engineering and science applications is reported. The system is a cluster of powerful yet low cost general-purpose PCs interconnected in a network. While, most applications written for cluster systems are programmed in MPI-C, results from the proposed system have shown that it is advantageous to use Java due to its simplicity, distribution enabling, and mobility. These results suggest there are advantages in considering a Java-enhanced cluster platform for many engineering and science applications.
KeywordsVirtual Machine Shared Memory Message Passing Interface Cluster System Processing Node
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Agha, G.A.: Actors: A Model of Concurrent Computation in Distributed Systems. MIT Press, Cambridge (1986)Google Scholar
- 2.Amza, C., Cox, A.L., Dwarkadas, S., Jin, L.-J., Rajamani, K., Zwaenepoel, W.: Adaptive protocols for software distributed shared memory. Proceedings of the IEEE, Special Issue on Distributed Shared Memory 87(3), 467–475 (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Bershad, B.N., Zekauskas, M.J., Sawdon, W.A.: The Midway Distributed Shared Memory System. In: Proceeding of IEEE COMPCON, pp. 528–537 (1993)Google Scholar
- 4.Chung, K.P., Li, J.B., Fung, C.C., Wong, K.W.: A parallel architecture for feature extraction in content-based image retrieval system. To be appeared in Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE International Conference on Cybernetics and Intelligent Systems (CIS 2004), December 2004, pp. 468–473 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Chung, K.P., Fung, C.C., Wong, K.W.: A Feature Selection Framework for Small Sampling Data in Content-based Image Retrieval System. In: 5th International Conference on Information, Communications and Signal Processing, December 6-9 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Fung, C.C., Chow, S.Y., Wong, K.P.: A Low-Cost Parallel Computing Platform for Power Engineering Applications. In: APSCOM 2000, Proceedings of Advances in Power System Control, Operation and Management, pp. 354–358 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Fung, C.C., Li, J.B., Wong, K.W.: Development of a Java-based distributed platform for the implementation of computational intelligence techniques. In: Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics (ICMLC), vol. 7, pp. 4156–4161 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Li, J.B., Fung, C.C., Myers, D.G.: Naming models in object-based distributed systems. In: The 2004 Postgraduate Electrical Engineering and Computing Symposium, PEECS 2004 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Message Passing Interface (MPI) standard, http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/ (accessed on 10/04/2005)
- 12.MPICH – a portable implementation of MPI, http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/ (accessed on 10/04/2005)