Empirical Study on Fusion Methods Using Ensemble of RBFNN for Network Intrusion Detection
The network security problem has become a critical issue and many approaches have been proposed to tackle the information security problems, especially the Denial of Service (DoS) attacks. Multiple Classifier System (MCS) is one of the approaches that have been adopted in the detection of DoS attacks recently. Fusion strategy is crucial and has great impact on the classification performance of an MCS. However the selection of the fusion strategy for an MCS in DoS problem varies widely. In this paper, we focus on the comparative study on adopting different fusion strategies for an MCS in DoS problem.
KeywordsFalse Alarm Rate Majority Vote Intrusion Detection Base Classifier Radial Basis Function Neural Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chan, A.P.F., Ng, W.W.Y., Yeung, D.S., Tsang, E.C.C.: Multiple Classifier System with Feature Grouping for Intrusion Detection: Mutual Information Approach. In: Khosla, R., Howlett, R.J., Jain, L.C. (eds.) KES 2005. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 3683, pp. 141–148. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Householder, A., Manion, A., Pesante, L., Weaver, G., Thomas, R.: Managing the Threat of Denial-of-Service Attacks. Carnegie Mellon CERT Coordination Center, Pittsburgh (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Kumar, S., Spafford, E.H.: A pattern matching model for misuse intrusion detection. In: Proceedings of the 17th National Computer Security Conference, pp. 11–21 (1994b)Google Scholar
- 8.Lee, W., Stolfo, S.J.: Data mining approaches for intrusion detection. In: Proceedings of the 7th USENIX Security Symposium (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Ng, W.W.Y., Chan, A.P.F., Yeung, D.S., Tsang, E.C.C.: Quantitative Study on the Generalization Error of Multiple Classifier Systems. To appear in IEEE Proc. of International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Hawaii, USA (October 2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Ng, W.W.Y., Chang, R.K.C., Yeung, D.S.: Dimensionality Reduction for Denial of Service Detection Problems Using RBFNN Output Sensitivity. In: IEEE Proceedings of the International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, vol. 2, pp. 1293–1298 (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Tumer, K., Ghosh, J.: Classifier combining: analytical results and implications. In: National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (1996)Google Scholar
- 17.Xu, L., Krzyzak, A., Suen, C.Y.: Methods for combining multiple classifiers and their applications to handwriting recognition. IEEE Trans. on SMC 22, 418–435 (1992)Google Scholar