An Effective and Efficient Two Stage Algorithm for Global Optimization
A two stage algorithm, consisting of gradient technique and particle swarm optimization (PSO) method for global optimization is proposed. The gradient method is used to find a local minimum of objective function efficiently, and PSO with potential parallel search is employed to help the minimization sequence to escape from the previously converged local minima to a better point which is then given to the gradient method as a starting point to start a new local search. The above search procedure is applied repeatedly until a global minimum of the objective function is found. In addition, a repulsion technique and partially initializing population method are also incorporated in the new algorithm to increase its global search ability. Global convergence is proven, and tests on benchmark problems show that the proposed method is more effective and reliable than the existing optimization methods.
KeywordsParticle Swarm Optimization Local Search Global Optimization Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm Global Optimization Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Holland, J.H.: Genetic algorithms. Scientific American 4, 44–50 (1992)Google Scholar
- 5.Eberhart, R.C., Kennedy, J.: A New Optimizer Using Particle Swarm Theory. In: Proc. 6th Symp., Micro Machine and Human Science, Nagoya, Japan, pp. 39–43 (1995)Google Scholar
- 6.Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R.C.: Particle Swarm Optimization. In: Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, Piscataway, NJ, pp. 1942–1948 (1995)Google Scholar
- 7.Shi, Y., Eberhart, R.C.: A Modified Particle Swarm Optimizer. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC 1998), Piscataway, NJ, pp. 69–73 (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Noel, M.M., Jannett, T.C.: Simulation of a New Hybrid Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm. In: Proceedings of the Thirty-Sixth Southeastern Symposium on System Symposium, pp. 150–153 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Deb, K.: Optimization for Engineering Design, Algorithms and Examples. Prentice-Hall, New Delhi (1995)Google Scholar
- 15.Anerssen, R.S., Jennings, L.S., Ryan, D.M.: Optimization. University of Queensland Press, St. Lucia (1972)Google Scholar