Improving Flexibility and Robustness in Agent Interactions: Extending Prometheus with Hermes
A crucial part of multi-agent system design is the design of agent interactions. Traditional approaches to designing agent interaction use interaction protocols, which focus on defining legal sequences of messages. Such approaches do not naturally exhibit flexibility and robustness, and are not a good match for intelligent software agents which are autonomous, proactive, flexible and robust. The Hermes approach to designing agent interaction uses interaction goals, actions, and a number of failure recovery mechanisms to give a design methodology which is a good fit with intelligent software agents. However, the Hermes approach only covers part of the design process. In this paper we integrate Hermes with the Prometheus methodology, thus providing a complete methodology for designing multi-agent systems where interaction design is goal-oriented, yielding flexible and robust interactions.
KeywordsMultiAgent System Interaction Design Agent Type Customer Order Order Book
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Jennings, N., Kinny, D., Wooldridge, M., Zambonelli, F.: The Gaia methodology. In: Bergenti, F., Gleizes, M.P., Zambonelli, F. (eds.) Methodologies and Software Engineering for Agent Systems. Kluwer Academic Publishing, New York (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Padgham, L., Thangarajah, J., Winikoff, M.: Tool support for agent development using the Prometheus methodology. In: Proceedings of the First InternationalWorkshop on Integration of Software Engineering and Agent Technology, ISEAT (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Yolum, P., Singh, M.P.: Flexible protocol specification and execution: Applying event calculus planning using commitments. In: Proceedings of the 1st Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and MultiAgent Systems (AAMAS), pp. 527–534 (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Flores, R.A., Kremer, R.C.: A pragmatic approach to build conversation protocols using social commitments. In: Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems (AAMAS), pp. 1242–1243 (2004)Google Scholar
- 15.Hutchison, J., Winikoff, M.: Flexibility and Robustness in Agent Interaction Protocols. In: Workshop on Challenges in Open Agent Systems at the First International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agents Systems (2002)Google Scholar